UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2007, 10:43 pm   #1
johnlees
Hexode

Default Pye 39J/H dial lamp diffuser.

I found this radio fly-tipped today and it is basically in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. (Haven't done any more to it yet than clean it up.)
However there is (or was) a sort of paper-thin opaque membrane behind the dial glass which is clearly to diffuse the light from the four dial bulbs which are at the sides of it and this has completely disintegrated into tiny pieces.
Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement substance. Obviously it must be heat-proof.

Thanks to all.
Old 26th Feb 2007, 1:23 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye 39J/H dial lamp diffusing membrane totally in shreds.

I have had a similar problem with a Ferranti model 545 transportable radio. The answer seems to be the material used for heat-resisting lampshades. I have yet to fix my set, but a cheap lampshade will be sacrificed at some future date!

Congratulations on rescuing another old set from destruction and bringing it into preservation

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 26th Feb 2007, 9:27 am   #3
Waring
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John - we use sheets of plastic translucent material as HT insulation card - it's about 0.5mm thick and might do the trick for you as it's a slightly off-white colour.

Waring

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Sep 2007 at 4:59 pm. Reason: Ref to PM removed.
Old 26th Feb 2007, 11:26 am   #4
x72
Tetrode

On a Pye PE41 (export A39j/h) I used a piece of mylar drafting film. It has been ok so far. The radio is on for a few hours per day.

Graham

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Sep 2007 at 5:00 pm. Reason: Ref to PM removed.
Closed Thread