UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2016, 1:00 pm   #61
ToneArm
Pentode

Default Re: Paint Stripping - "New" Nitromors is hopeless.

I sometimes use caustic soda mixed with wallpaper paste for stripping furniture. It darkens the wood although for the pine stuff I tend to do mainly the finish colour is alright ("antique" pine!)
Glyn
Old 8th Sep 2016, 5:30 pm   #62
dave cox
Nonode

I am always a bit surprised how easy it is to buy Sodium Hydroxide pellets. Personally I would use the stuff without a full face mask and within a few metres of a safety shower! In my days of handling dangerous chemicals this would score highly on the corrosive scale (somewhat below hydrofloric acid) as it is particularly good at blinding you

dc
Old 8th Sep 2016, 9:30 pm   #63
Audio1950
Dekatron

Yes, they do use caustic soda, and if left in a bit too long. all the joints fall apart. Been there, done that!

Barry
Old 8th Sep 2016, 11:05 pm   #64
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I once stripped a door in a large cellar using Caustic Soda. Of course it said use outdoors or in a well ventilated space. The large cellar had a big window but I still had to get out of there pretty fast once it got going. I took all my doors to a Trade Warehouse that had a large Caustic Tank in the end. I thought Caustic was the Industry Standard for this sort of thing but that was a long time ago. I've still got the heavy duty rubber gloves though. They eventually came in very handy when I had to move my distribution board quickly in an emergency, as it was subject to rainwater coming down the kitchen wall. I used to use Nitromors "Original" back then but even that took it's time!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 8th Sep 2016 at 11:13 pm.
Old 9th Sep 2016, 10:27 am   #65
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
I have resorted to burning the paint off with a blowtorch.
I used to do that using a gas blow torch rather than a paraffin or petrol blow lamp. Incidentally paraffin is very expensive these days.

Nowadays I use a hot air gun which resembles a hair dryer, but is a lot more powerful. It's much more convenient to use.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 3:41 pm   #66
Junk Box Nick
Octode

The torch I use is a Taymar butane-propane canister type which is usually used for plumbing. It takes a bit of skill to avoid scorching the wood and thus I would not use it on a woody radio case or a piece of furniture. I have a Black & Decker hot air gun which was my father's (so probably on its way to vintage itself) and although it will do the job on household paintwork, and is safer, I find it harder work than the Taymar.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 3:56 pm   #67
Radio Wrangler

I too had a black and decker hot air paint stripper gun. It proved too wimpy to bother with.

Small items I just sand, for larger items it's a Calor Engineering torch

David
Old 10th Sep 2016, 5:11 pm   #68
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Pre-pack paraffin is expensive - you pay for it to be dyed pretty colours.
28sec heating oil isn't - it just might smell a bit more- maybe.
If you are burning off paint you won't care about that?
Old 15th Sep 2016, 11:48 am   #69
cathy_vintage
Pentode

Well I have tried allsorts. I have managed to make a paste up including caustic soda and gum and Fullers Earth ( main ingredient of kitty litter) but it's not a patch on the old formula Nitromors.

However, looking at the legislation (see attached) you can STILL buy stripper for removal of adhesives, which legally contains Methylene Chloride (DCM .... Dichloromethane) but it's illegal to sell it for use as paint stripper and illegal to use it for paint stripping by the end user without a license (see attached document).

If you go to autojumbles like Newark or Rufforth (these are nearest me) you can buy 'Final Solutions' paint stripper at £7 /litre and 'Paramose stripper' at £20 for 5 litres (after haggling). See pic attached. They contain methylene chloride and I believe formic acid ( as in ant bites), so be warned ! If you get it on your skin even in the tiniest amount it stings like an ant bite. Definitely on par with the original Nitromors, as it used to be before legislation banned Methylene Choride for non-licence holders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PaintStripper Legistation.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	130131   Click image for larger version

Name:	paintSTRIP 2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	130132  
Old 23rd Sep 2016, 3:18 pm   #70
lloydwells
Heptode

If its a metal cabinet large bucket water caustic soda
Old 24th Sep 2016, 11:22 am   #71
Station X

Anything metal I just take to the powder coaters. They sand blast it getting the rust etc. out of every nook and cranny before applying the powder coating.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Sep 2016, 8:00 pm   #72
YoungManGW
Hexode

Langlow does the job that Nitromors used to do.
Closed Thread