UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2015, 11:51 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Voltage control using 78xx

I seem to remember on some electronic office equipment ,the standby function was via a toggle control on the common of a (in this case ) 7805, and I think ,via a transistor used as a switch with C-E in the common to gnd path. This was over 20/25 years ago, and on redundancy I had a ceremonial burning of all my workshop manuals for that range. Anyone dabbled with this as a way of switching a PSU on/off.
Old 27th Jul 2015, 12:15 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: voltage control using 78xx

You would have to switch the ground connection to a negative 5V supply in order to bring its output down to zero.
Old 27th Jul 2015, 5:47 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I don't quite get this. If you open-circuit the common connection to a three terminal regulator (certainly a 78xx or 79xx) the output voltage rises to essentially the input voltage (less a saturated transistor drop?). Anyway, the output most certainly does not go to zero.

This was a common problem with the TO3-canned 78xx's. The common connections was the case. If the mounting screws came loose then the output would go sky-high and kill ICs all over the instrument.
Old 27th Jul 2015, 8:13 am   #4
tony brady
Hexode

You need to switch the input to the regulator. While you can use an NPN it's better to use a PNP series transistor with an NPN controlling it. This allows control from a low voltage source such as a processor
Old 27th Jul 2015, 11:45 pm   #5
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Voltage control using 78xx

As said, I can only remember parts of the circuit as it was a long time ago . As I remember it the transistor was in the common , and switched the 7805 ,but as said I only remember the circuit in passing. The need was for a in car 12 supply when the ignition was off, and the idea of using a transistor instead of a relay ( which would need to be operated when ignition on ,although at a lower current if a series resistor was switched in ), appealed in terms of circuit space saving and relay being on .TBH, I 'd not tried simply sticking a 7805 in a supply and disconnecting the common, as I've not had much to do with this component.In most of my professional life ,I've dealt with SMPSU, or series pass regulators .
Old 28th Jul 2015, 12:52 pm   #6
FRANK.C
Heptode

Would it not be more likely to be a LM317?
In the LM317 data sheet there is a circuit showing it been switched using a transistor driven by TTL.

Frank
Old 29th Jul 2015, 11:20 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

Possibly ,Frank, as I only glanced at this part of the circuit, and thought it could be useful in future. But I remember the supply line was 5v from one IC,with no other components. Circuit was used on a lot of Dictaphone desktop machines in the mid 80's, hence my vagueness about the circuit.
Closed Thread