UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2015, 4:42 am   #1
FrankB
Heptode

Default Home Brew Valve Tester Book

A book here has just come out called:

Make Your Own Tube Testers, and Electron Tube Equipment.
By Gary Steinbaugh PE AF8L
ISBN # 978-1-57074-089-3

WWW.4ea-analysis.com
$34.98 USD (I got my copy off Amazon.com)

I bought it the minute it came out and it has a great amount of good information to build your own tube tester, including one for testing transmitting tubes. (The project I am in process on right now).
Lots of good info and tips, and circuits.
Some good "modularized" test equipment schematics and power supply schematics in it.

Well written, IMHO and quite understandable too.
Old 19th Mar 2015, 8:41 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Home Brew Valve Tester Book

Any chance of a scan? Just joking Frank, sounds interesting.

Are there any buck/boost type PSU's to supply the HT? It's something I keep meaning to look into more thoroughly as most PSU's in valve tester's arn't very efficiant.

Any chance of some pics of your progress so far? How is the search going for those sockets?

Andy.
Old 19th Mar 2015, 4:52 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Andy, plenty of designs for buck/boost convertors. There were loads of seminars from the major players in the 2000's. These days Nat Semi, Texas and Linear Tech all have a good range of chips with app notes and Micrometals have plenty of details on the cores to be used.
However, it is a valve tester, not a continuously operated piece of household gear than must meet EEC specs, so what is wrong with the old tapped transformer or series pass 807?
Don't forget that these converters generate EMC, which could play havoc with your testing, especially of high gain valves.

Ed
Old 19th Mar 2015, 10:18 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

For a buck-boost converter, the buck-boost as named is a bit messy

Then came the Cuk converter which could convert up, down or even 1:1 smoothly. But it was patented and Slobodan Cuk wanted ten bucks a pop from firms who used them (some did)

As a work-around, another architecture was devised: SEPIC Single Ended Primary Inductance Converter. It works nicely and LM5022 is a good controller. I've designed a few SEPICs and they're shipping hundreds per month without problems. National Semiconductor did a good applications note on SEPICs. They need two inductors, but you can combine them into dual windings on a single core.

David
Old 20th Mar 2015, 11:15 am   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

I'd quite like a copy of that, unfortunately Amazon won't ship it to my address. Will have to keep an eye out for it over here.
Old 20th Mar 2015, 5:29 pm   #6
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Dominic,

I don't know if this will help you, but if you click on the link in Frank's post, and then scroll down the web page, you'll find an "Order Now" button that takes you to the publisher's site. It says that it's for people who don't have a USA address.

Colin
Old 21st Mar 2015, 2:11 pm   #7
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

For information, I have ordered one of these books using the system on the Greyden Press website. It was fairly easy and I paid by PayPal the sum of £41.97 to cover the cost of both book and the cheapest postage to my London address. I look forward to reading the book!
Colin.
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 12:06 am   #8
FrankB
Heptode

As a few of you are aware, I am building a transmitting & HT rectifier tube/valve tester. in addition to my "European base tube tester adaptor."
Its a long term project, as I am still collecting parts for the HT power supply. Finding good caps with 6KV ratings that are still good, (and affordable) are not easy to find.
Rectifiers, power tx and filter choke, and most of the needed sockets are all in a pile already.

This book provided me with some of the circuits I was going to have to design to make it work.

Sadly my computer photo processing program won't re-load. (I am not real good at computers- they keep coming up with the message "Awaiting next input error"). lol

I am still trying to figure out the problem without paying big bux to a real tech.
Old 25th Mar 2015, 4:08 pm   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The main reason I looked into buck/boost circuits for supplying the HT in valve testers was because a lot of circuits, be they valve or transistor/Mosfet based, rely on tapped tfmr's or dump most of the excess "power" across a pot; high wattage 100k+ pots are hard to find as are tapped tfmr's, I thought there might be a more efficient way.

Other circuits use a zener/resistive divider . When testing valves I've found an adjustable HT source more to my liking than a divider stepped in decades as in the Sussex.

I looked at SEPIC's after Ed mentioned using a buck/boost convertor on another thread on this subject and did a bit of research.They seem to fit the bill, but I've yet to build one.

Sorry, don't wish to hijack your thread Frank. By transmitting and HT rectifier tester I presume you mean making a HT PSU capable of supplying 1Kv + HT. I saw an interesting video on this subject on Utube yesterday. He uses a Cockcroft Walton (if my memory is right) voltage doubler circuit to supply 2Kv up. See The Post Apocalypse Inventor's Channel. He really knows his electronics.

Andy.
Old 26th Mar 2015, 3:26 pm   #10
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
For information, I have ordered one of these books using the system on the Greyden Press website.
Well, it arrived today! I have to agree with Frank that it is well-written and has good illustrations, too. There are one or two oddities that I saw with somewhat puzzling components (I can cope with "aluminum capacitors" as it is a US-produced book, but what is a "Power Entry Module" or a "Power Filter Corcom 3VB3" anyone?). There seems to quite a lot of maths to explain things and a deal of history, too, which I see as good.

Well worth the money and the delivery-time was pretty good, too.

Colin.
Old 26th Mar 2015, 4:13 pm   #11
Colin Ames
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
There are one or two oddities that I saw with somewhat puzzling components (I can cope with "aluminum capacitors" as it is a US-produced book, but what is a "Power Entry Module" or a "Power Filter Corcom 3VB3" anyone?).
Colin,

The Corcom 3VB3 is a power line filter. I have attached the data sheet.

Regards,
Colin
Old 26th Mar 2015, 5:30 pm   #12
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Thanks for the info, Colin. I suspected something like that. It's my guess that the "Power Entry Module" is merely a convoluted way of saying something like "IEC Fused Connector" or the US equivalent, but I could be wrong.....

We Colins should stick together .
Old 1st Apr 2015, 8:29 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, definitely to be recommended, mine was delivered in 6 days from order.

Ed
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 2:29 pm   #14
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

This book, like most books on electronics, has a few errors, omissions and typos. I will expand on this when I reach the last page, but meanwhile note that the circuits and layouts on pp113 & 115 are identical, despite the text suggesting otherwise. Also, on p149 the component list has D7 & D8 as 1N4148, but I can't find these on the circuit diagram anywhere.
Old 8th May 2015, 5:38 pm   #15
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Hi,

After having read this interesting book twice, I have now compiled a list of corrigenda. I am attaching it to this post. As I have pointed out, there may still be some errors/omissions/peculiarities that I have missed.

Also, headings and captions are generally not included as “lines” where I have used line-numbers. Quotations from other sources are considered as “lines”. There may be some confusion when equations or tables exist, especially if the table is set out with step values.

I hope this is of some value to users of the book.

Regards, Colin.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Notes on Make Your Own Tube Testers.docx (19.5 KB, 208 views)
Old 8th May 2015, 9:35 pm   #16
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Colin, many thanks for that, most useful.

Ed
Old 29th Jun 2015, 2:36 pm   #17
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Folks, Just a thought, but I wondered if anyone had any comments on what I mentioned on pages 81,82 & 83 of my "Notes" document? I especially would have thought that someone might have some knowledge of the requirements of the LM338. Perhaps no-one who has purchased the book has this info, or the expertise to say whether the maths on P83 is right. If so, it's a pity .
Colin.
Old 29th Jun 2015, 11:33 pm   #18
joebog1
Banned

I read your question about LM338,s, ( and your other notes ) I dont have the book.
Yes the LM338 does need those caps. Under some circumstances they prevent high frequency oscillation of the chip.
You will find quite a write up in the National Semiconductor handbook.
Remember that what the chip is, is a very high gain amp, with extremely wide frequency response. In most cases they are not necessary, but for the cost involved, you cover all your bases. Long wire leads to and from the chip is the most common cause for instability.

Regards
Joe
Closed Thread