UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2008, 8:02 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Those DAC90A knob washers

I don't often buy recordable DVD's but did so today. They were Tescos branded DVD-R spindle of 50.

When I opened the packet there were THREE white foam washers holding the discs in. My eyes lit up when I saw them as they seemed to just the size that I was looking for to put on the DAC90A knobs.

They absolutely are dead on for size and the foam is substantial as foam goes. The next best thing to the felt washers. I just gave them a bit of slack instead of relying on them pressing against the cabinet.

As I say I don't often buy these so it might well be possible that they are supplied as standard in others makes of DVD-R's on spindles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washer1.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	21933   Click image for larger version

Name:	washer2.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	21934  

Last edited by Boom; 20th Dec 2008 at 8:14 pm.
Old 21st Dec 2008, 12:49 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Those DAC90A knob washers

Didn't know that, David. I don't buy recordable DVDs-not having either a DVD recorder or rewriter-but-did you and others know that you can get proper felt washers from Savoy Hill Publicationswww.savoy-hill.co.uk They stock 3/4", 1", & 1 1/4" diameter types, all made from brown wool, plus, incidentally other things to do with cabinet restoration

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 21st Dec 2008 at 12:53 pm. Reason: checked savoy hill website
Old 21st Dec 2008, 12:51 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I actually saw packets of washers at the Cheese and grain Frome but as usual I didn't need them then. When I wanted them I couldn't find any so thanks for that link.

Dave
Old 21st Dec 2008, 12:55 pm   #4
Station X

Felt can be obtained from shops which sell sewing machines, curtain material and the like. It's then fairly easy to make your own washers using a Stanley Knife. It's easier if you have a metal washer to cut round. I've also bought dark black material for "speaker bags" from these shops.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Dec 2008, 1:33 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I did try that Graham but was never happy with the results. It was impossible for me to get them perfectly round.
Old 21st Dec 2008, 1:45 pm   #6
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Is it possible to make a punch for the felt washers by sharpening the end of a suitable metal tube?

Michael
Old 21st Dec 2008, 1:53 pm   #7
brianc
Rest in Peace

The thing you're talking about is a Wad Punch, Michael. They are just what you say - a tube which is sharpened at one end. The inner part normally widens at the top to allow the washers to fall out easily. Sets are available with a mandrel with a pointed centre pin to get the inner hole concentric.
Cheers
Brian
Old 21st Dec 2008, 3:20 pm   #8
igranic
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
The thing you're talking about is a Wad Punch, Michael. They are just what you say - a tube which is sharpened at one end. The inner part normally widens at the top to allow the washers to fall out easily. Sets are available with a mandrel with a pointed centre pin to get the inner hole concentric.
Cheers
Brian
Wad Punch Sets are available, such as these from RDG Tools, but I have yet to see a set with a 1.125" or 28mm punch - the size needed for DAC90A washers - but that size is available as an individual tool with integral shaft but no centre pin.

I have made these washers by sharpening the end of a short length of 28mm copper tube, then using that as a punch with a sacrificial block of wood as an anvil.
Copper tube is not ideal material for a cutting tool, but offcuts are readily available, and only three washers were required, so durability was not important.

The centre hole shape is not critical - a simple 'X' cut will suffice to provide a snug fit on the shaft.

Edward
Old 22nd Dec 2008, 8:25 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Same as supplied on ASDA DVDs
Old 10th Jan 2009, 11:02 pm   #10
reelguy
Heptode

B & Q, Poundland, Focus etc sell felt discs of various sizes which only need folding in half and a hole cutting with a pair of scissors or a craft knife. Not sure how many are on a card but quite a few. Not sure if they are sticky backed though.
Peter W.......Reelguy
Old 11th Jan 2009, 8:45 am   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

The ones I've seen are sticky-backed, but as they are thin, two of 'em would be OK.
They are not that big, though.
For me, I just get felt from any local market haberdasher and use a wad punch for the hole, and a sharpened piece of tube for the outside. Even a scrap electrolytic can will suffice.