UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2008, 9:14 pm   #1
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Stuck Scan Coils

Hi all.
I am restoring a Pye LV30 which is in a very poor state and nowhere near powering up but I needed to get the scan coils off the tube and they were impossible to get off. One thread on the forum suggested that the set be run for a while to warm up the coils - impossible in my case. So I attached my variable bench PSU to the line coils (nearest to the tube neck) and passed 1 amp through them, feeling the winding temperature frequently. After about 2 minutes, the coils were very easy to twist and remove with little or no stress applied to the neck of the tube. I had to clean the inside of the coils as there was a sticky mess - I have no idea what, but the coils now slide up the neck easily.
Cheers
Brian
Old 4th Oct 2008, 10:09 pm   #2
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Stuck Scan Coils

Hello Brian,

There should be a prize for an idea like that! Noted for future use.

Regards,

Dave
Old 10th Oct 2008, 11:45 am   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
Sounds a good idea.
How hot did the coils get?
Trevor
Old 12th Oct 2008, 10:46 am   #4
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Sounds a good idea.
How hot did the coils get?
Trevor
Hi Trevor
The coils were just warm to the touch but evidently warm enough to soften the grunge that was causing the problem. IMHO, there was absolutely no danger of overheating but keeping an eye (or finger!) on the temperature is obviously vital. Limiting the current to 1A is a good safeguard against overheating.
Cheers
Brian
Closed Thread