UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2020, 9:22 am   #21
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Default Re: Dead Naim remote

Well done, nice to see a good result.
Old 25th May 2020, 2:56 pm   #22
Edwar65
Pentode

Thank you!!
Old 10th Jul 2020, 9:29 pm   #23
chris.oates
Triode

Inspired by this thread, having previously not known about ceramic resonators, I went back to look at the remote for an old Asda Onn LCD but analogue TV (OLCD1502). I’d previously tried to fix its remote but had failed, and I couldn’t see how a board with so few components could be so dead. It was the ceramic resonator, the existing one was labelled 429P which seems quite a rare frequency but I found a similar looking device on a scrapped VHS video player board, labelled 455C, swapping them fixed the remote so the notional frequency mustn’t be that critical.

Thanks to all contributors.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4870.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	210751  
Old 10th Jul 2020, 10:05 pm   #24
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Over the years, I have found that many remote controls have stopped working because something along the lines of pop, beer, tea or coffee has been spilled into them. I give the PCB a good cleaning with an old toothbrush soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). In the majority of cases this will restore the remote to working order. Clean the button pads as well.

To check if the remote is working, hold a digital camera or a mobile phone camera against the IR transmitter LED. When a button is pressed, you should see a white flash from the LED when viewed on the camera screen.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 11:16 pm   #25
Radio Wrangler

I destroyed a panasonic remote because of wax in my ear.

Yes, really!

My GP had suggested a couple of goes with Otex eardrops, simple over the counter stuff. So I put some in, sitting in the TV chair with my head inclined at 45 degrees to wait for the stuff to do its job. Weird sensation, with pops and bangs in-ear sound effects as it bubbled and reacted with the wax. Unfortunately there was a slight amount on the finger I pushed buttons on the remote with as I whiled away the time. Over a few days, the rubber buttons swelled to the point where they no longer could be pushed enough to work. End of remote.

David
Old 11th Jul 2020, 1:21 am   #26
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

This reminds me of something similar that I did to a programmable remote control back in the late 1990s. At the time I suffered with sinusitis and inhaled with a small bowl of warm water and menthol crystals before going to bed. One night while watching the TV, I fell asleep and dropped the remote control in the bowl! The next morning there were bits of silicon in the bowl. Needless to say, the remote NEVER worked again!
Closed Thread