UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2020, 3:24 pm   #1
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Default Telefunken Magnetophon 55

Hi everyone, ive got this Telefunken Magnetophon 55 as in tge picture, all valves light but the motor doesn't appear to be doing anythibg because all controls are functional but the tables will not turn, has anyone got any idea's and help that that will impart me please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_125839.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	208194  
Old 10th Jun 2020, 4:13 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Telefunken Magnetophon 55

Hi Trevor,

Do not know what you may have checked already so sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Looking at the schematic (for the 55B) the AC motor gets its power from a secondary winding of the mains transformer, when 50Hz mains frequency is linked/configured, the transformer tap used is 165 volts.

For this secondary to be powered the internal 0.3A fuse has to be good, so check that if not already checked.

If fuse is good then try and measure (safely) the voltage getting to the motor, Also check condition of the motor run/start capacitor C44.

Also make sure that the motor rotor is not seized.

If motor itself is running but tables not turning then check belts, idler/drive wheels, associated mechanics etc.

I can only see a section of the schematic so may have missed something.

David
Old 10th Jun 2020, 4:56 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Seconded the seized motor idea. Have had two like that fairly recently, a Philips and a Grundig. Give the shaft a twist and see if it comes to life.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 6:34 pm   #4
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Hi Trevor,

Do not know what you may have checked already so sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Looking at the schematic (for the 55B) the AC motor gets its power from a secondary winding of the mains transformer, when 50Hz mains frequency is linked/configured, the transformer tap used is 165 volts.

For this secondary to be powered the internal 0.3A fuse has to be good, so check that if not already checked.

If fuse is good then try and measure (safely) the voltage getting to the motor, Also check condition of the motor run/start capacitor C44.

Also make sure that the motor rotor is not seized.

If motor itself is running but tables not turning then check belts, idler/drive wheels, associated mechanics etc.

I can only see a section of the schematic so may have missed something.

David
Thanks a lot David, I'll check out everything you mention, very informative bud and I thank you for your help.
Trevor
Old 10th Jun 2020, 6:36 pm   #5
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Seconded the seized motor idea. Have had two like that fairly recently, a Philips and a Grundig. Give the shaft a twist and see if it comes to life.
Hi Ben, thank you for your help, everytime i post on this site both you and David always come to my rescue , thanks a lot guys.
Trev
Closed Thread