UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2019, 8:31 pm   #1
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Digital Voltmeter causing interference

I am restoring a Rent-a-set radio and am posting elsewhere on this site on my progress but this one had me going for a full 40 minutes.
I had reached the stage where LW was working but with a really loud whistle superimposed. Checking with a scope showed that the audio had a 2kHz tone superimposed on it.
I spent a full 40 minutes trying to track it down before I decided to leave it for another day. Fortunately I switched off my test gear before switching off the set.
When I switched of the DVM the tone went, totally.
Switch it back on, tone returned.

The DVM is an Aneng AN8002 true rms meter.

I also checked 3 other DVMs and none of them caused the slightest interference.

I won't be using the AN8002 around radios again thats for sure.

Peter
Closed Thread