UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 19th May 2017, 9:34 am   #21
turretslug
Octode

Default Re: New start?

Sorry to hear of this Chris- having seen both my brother and sister recently go through long-winded and hostile break-ups with houses and kids amplifying the pain, not to mention seeing beloved family dogs succumb to untimely events over the years, I can appreciate something of what a blow this must have been to you. A swathe of in-laws go from being a happy part of the family to an awkward and uncomfortable occasionally encountered presence. Both tried to regard it as a nuisance to be got through rather than a devastating step-change and absorbed themselves in hobby passions, hopefully your evident depth of interest in the forum's remit is therapeutic here.

Good luck for the future, Colin.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 10:00 am   #22
unitaudio
Heptode

Chris, please make sure you look after yourself. I've been through a period of trauma, one thing after another, lost people I love, I didn't eat sensibly or look after myself, I'm just emerging from the fog after 10 years.

I hate that I wasted so much time on negativity. Please don't let it happen to you, this is so important. You'll pull yourself back from it in your own time, there's no timetable.

Every situation Is different, some bounce back faster than others. Please make sure you cut yourself a bit of slack, look after yourself, eat well and don't dwell on the past. I know it's easy for others to say but you've got to think of what you want for yourself now.

Best of luck mate.

Regards,
Paul
Old 19th May 2017, 5:34 pm   #23
Junk Box Nick
Heptode

Interests and friends keep one going through difficult times and help one look forward and not back.

Best wishes

Nick
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 7:29 pm   #24
Herald1360
Dekatron

Thanks to everyone for their supportive responses.

The bald facts do seem dire, but it's not all doom and gloom- we're not at daggers drawn (though more than a few hours together at a time is somewhat fraught) and there's enough in the joint "pot" for us each to live separately rather than together once the financial order is finally implemented. Half a Witney house each is enough to buy our own smaller houses in Herefordshire (me) and Worcestershire (ex). I have family at both ends of Herefordshire and I will retire at the end of the year anyway.

Alabama Rot- there have been about 60 known cases in the UK between 2012 and 2016. There seems to be a cluster around Worcs/Gloucs recently (including ours).

Hands-on old radio stuff is tricky at the moment, most of my spares and useful junk is in storage until I buy a house; I'm living in a studio flat near to work which doesn't have much room for any serious tinkering! I can still bore on about it to anyone who doesn't see me coming first, though.
.........O...Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 9:14 pm   #25
The Philpott
Hexode

Chris/Herald, i seem to recall you as a helpful and amiable contributor, and it's also good to know that as/when/if i have a purple or blue patch i can 'download' here without being dropped or ignored. (did i tell you about the time i had drinks spiked with base amphetamine and went u/s for 4 months..? No, that can wait for another time!)

I got divorced 5yrs ago; and i prefer the way things are now- the 'phone is inactive after 2100hrs unless there is an emergency, and that's just the way i like it.
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 4:28 am   #26
camtechman
Octode

Herald1360,

My late Dad had many strange sayings (especially to me as a 15 year old) but as I grew older, they started to make sense.

His favourite was: "What is life?":
1)You're born...
2)life intervenes...
3)life can be s**t....
4)Then you die...

He then closed with: "However, during that journey, you will find moments of pleasure, joy & satisfaction.
Your job is to recognise those good moments, grab hold of them, run with them & buck the trend"

Now, as I rapidly approach 70 years of age (just 3 years short of when my Dad died), I've been grabbing the good moments and hanging on very tight !!!

Good Luck.

Last edited by camtechman; 20th May 2017 at 4:42 am.
camtechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 8:16 am   #27
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post

He then closed with: "However, during that journey, you will find moments of pleasure, joy & satisfaction.

That's just so, isn't it?

Better than plain old "Life's a bitch and then you die"!
.........O...Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:45 am   #28
stevehertz
Nonode

In the early 90s in the space of one month, my marriage ended after nine years , and I was made redundant after 20 years . Sitting at home by one's self job hunting with limited funds and little or no income whilst someone is asking for 1000s of for their share of the house is not fun. But I came out of it wiser, stronger, with a greater understanding of people, and more determined. The next few years were difficult, but character forming. So I know how you feel, but there's only one way now - up . There IS light at the end of the tunnel . Best of luck.
Old 20th May 2017, 3:18 pm   #29
electronicskip
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Chris/Herald, i seem to recall you as a helpful and amiable contributor, and it's also good to know that as/when/if i have a purple or blue patch i can 'download' here without being dropped or ignored. (did i tell you about the time i had drinks spiked with base amphetamine and went u/s for 4 months..? No, that can wait for another time!)

I got divorced 5yrs ago; and i prefer the way things are now- the 'phone is inactive after 2100hrs unless there is an emergency, and that's just the way i like it.
I met Chris briefly when he collected a few books from me a few months ago.
Very nice chap.
electronicskip is offline   Reply With Quote