UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2016, 8:16 am   #1
Spectreman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Uher Report 4400 IC recorder

Hello all.

I just joined this forum, it looks like a great source of information for reel to reel tape decks, which I love.
I recently bought a Uher Report 4400 tape deck, and have been using it a lot for recording with various different microphones. Have been recording my family life, outdoor sounds, wildlife etc. The recording quality is very good at 7 1/2 IPS.
I enjoy trying out different mics for seeing what mic is best for what application.
Unfortunately, the L channel on my Uher does not work correctly, audio is there, but lower in level & distorted bad quality. The R channel is fine. I will soon replace the caps on the main audio board, most likely a bad cap is at fault.
Is a pity that these Uher machines are hard to find here in Australia, most are overseas and the shipping cost is very high ! I was lucky to buy my one locally.

Just wondering how many other members of this forum own Uher Report tape decks & do they still use them for recording ?
I have most recently been using a Beyerdynamic M550 mic, it sounds pretty good. Very omnidirectional mic. I have several more mics yet to come to try out.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 30th Dec 2016, 12:12 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Uher Report 4400 IC recorder

Hi Chris,

I have a soft spot for Uher R2R's and I currently run a Uher 4200 Report Monitor which I bought at a car boot sale some 10 years ago for only £20.

It was in very good cosmetic condition but it had a problem with the rubber tyre around the main flywheel, which had gone hard and had no grip (a common problem). Also one or two other faults became apparent but there are a couple of sellers on Ebay (mainly German and some in Canada) but, as you say are costly.

If you are looking for parts/spares go directly to the Ebay sites for Germany & Canada.

Do you have or have you tried a Uher mike? One thing to watch out for with them is deteriorating foam rubber in the mike head which will be noticeable by reduced sound quality. However, this can be replaced.

Tony
Old 31st Dec 2016, 1:01 am   #3
Spectreman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Tony.

Thanks for the reply.
Great about your Uher 4200, a lot of tape decks were a lot cheaper 10 years ago.
Pity I only started collecting tape decks this year, with the prices higher for the reel to reel tape revival. This has limited my collection for sure. I also have a Pioneer RT1050, Sanyo MR939, and a Tandberg 1241 that has yet to be restored.
The Tandberg will eventually replace the cheap Sanyo unit which I will sell.

I do have a Uher M534 mic that has a bad intermittent connection in it.
I took it apart last night, pushing out the two pins that hold the head on that are underneath the name strip (stupid design, why could it not just unscrew like the other mics I have ?).
Sure enough, the windshield foam had completely deteriorated, so I have removed it.
Thanks for the tip about this !
Will also try & fix the connection problem in it, but I do have 2 more of these mics on the way, so not too worried about it.
I have also on the way a very nice Sennheiser MD405 that was sold with the Uher Report decks as an optional high quality mic, look forward to trying it out, but will have the check the foam windshield in it too.

I have made up a mains power adapter for the Uher, and even a car cigarette lighter one too !
Because the L channel is faulty, I have temporarily rerouted the internal speaker connection to the R channel, sounds very good.
The flywheel is a bit noisy due to the hardened rubber, but not too bad.
I guess replacing the flywheel, or getting it fixed will be an expensive option for me, I don't think anyone can do this here in Australia.
But I do love this Uher deck, and I really look forward to being able to buy a Report Monitor model in the future. But now they are expensive too.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 31st Dec 2016, 4:21 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

I have a Uher 4000 Report Monitor, which is the 2-track, mono, 3-head version. Recording fidelity is excellent even at 9.5cm./s, which is good as the machine can only accept up to a 13 cm. spool. Though it seems to have no problem with triple-play tape.
Old 31st Dec 2016, 11:34 am   #5
Pine Marten
Tetrode

I have a 4400 Stereo. It came with issues, but now works perfectly. It is certainly worth renewing the Fraco electrolytic capacitors as they dry out. Also make sure the record/play and eq wafer slide switches are abolutely clean and correctly adjusted. I had lots of problems tracing poor quality record which were all down to intermittent or poor connections dry joints etc. Does your machine play back tapes made on another machine without distortion and at the correct level? Also vice-versa?
Old 31st Dec 2016, 1:27 pm   #6
Spectreman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Pine Marten.
Yes, it does play back 4 track tapes done on another deck fine, in the R channel anyway.
The L channel sounds weaker with poor freq range & distortion.
When I connect a mic to the Mic 1 connector, and monitor the audio, it sounds the same.
The mic 2 audio is fine.
So I believe the fault is in the audio preamp section for the L channel.
The L audio is bad on playback & record.
Closed Thread