UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2016, 3:04 pm   #1
Robbie99
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mains adapter for Philips 3302a cassette recorder(1973)

Hi All,

Having replaced the melted drive bands on my otherwise new looking 1973 Philips cassette recorder, (a nostalgia buy because I used to use one to record John Peel shows in the seventies), I now want to make up a mains adapter to power it. Don't want to spend much on this in approach to Xmas, and although I have almost no electronics knowledge I can solder.

I know the six pin DIN should be positive wire to pin 1 and negative to pin 3, and I've got the circuit diagram of the mains socket. My problem is what mains adapter to use with it. I know the machine is designed to run with 7.5v power supply but I've read on the Peter Vis website that it is wise not to wack too much voltage into an old machine.

I do have a spare 6v adapter I could use. I'm assuming as I have a later model this voltage won't affect the playing speed. Unfortunately it is rated as outputting 1.5A which is a lot higher than Peter's suggestion of 300mA or thereabouts. If this adapter is no good, (and feel free to explain why - I'm keen to learn!), can anyone recommend a reliable budget adapter and supplier(s)? Thanks in advance.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 5:08 pm   #2
threeseven
Octode

Default Re: Mains adapter for Philips 3302a cassette recorder(1973)

Just a note on supply current first. Any given device will only take the current it needs, so a power supply that can provide more than the device needs won't force more current into it, assuming the voltage is correct.
Philips did make a multiple voltage mains adaptor that was switchable between 6, 7.5 and 9 volts. It was supplied with a jack to din adaptor for use with many Philips portable devices.
It's designation was N6502, they can be found on ebay but quite rarely.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 5:25 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There was a plug adapter -- I have no idea if it was a Philips product or not -- which took one of those coaxial power plugs and fitted into a 5 pin type B DIN socket. I have one, it came with a Philips tape recorder (actually an EL3586) I bought second-hand. Yes, I do still want it.

But the connector is not really a problem given that 5 pin type B (240 degree) DIN plugs are not hard to get.

I would not give it more than 7.5V. I don't know if the original mains adapter was voltage-regulated or not (some Philips ones certainly were), but if you are making/buying a replacement, rather than trying to copy the original, there is no good reason now not to fit a voltage regulator. An LM317 and a couple of resistors would do it. With a linear regulator like the LM317 you have to provide it with rather more voltage on the input (say around 12V here) but it doesn't matter within reason what that input voltage is (that's the point of the voltage regulator). The input current will be essentially the same as the output current.

I can't recomend a supply, this the sort of thing I would build from components if I wanted one. So I can't say if this will work, but Maplin N47ED claims to have a 7.5V setting. And at 27W it would easly handle the current of the EL3302. It's not cheap, though. Actually, Maplin L06BR would do, I think and is a bit cheaper. You'd have to make up an adapter lead to the 5 pin DIN socket with any PSU you could buy now.

There would be no danger in using your 6V adapter. As others have said, the machine will draw the current it needs, you will not force 1.5A through it. It may work. It may not give good performance. But it will do no permanent damage.

Last edited by TonyDuell; 15th Dec 2016 at 5:34 pm. Reason: Found another Maplin supply that might work
Old 15th Dec 2016, 5:34 pm   #4
threeseven
Octode

The N6502 was regulated, quite a nice unit actually. I have 2 which still work perfectly and in use regularly.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 5:57 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Circuit here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips N6502 mains adapter.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	134465  
Old 15th Dec 2016, 8:04 pm   #6
threeseven
Octode

Thanks for that, I was going to download it but I couldn't remember my password for the Radio Museum site!
Old 15th Dec 2016, 8:14 pm   #7
GeoffK
Heptode

This is a simple series supply that could be made on a piece of Vero board and put in a plastic box, the circuit can be modified to make the output voltage adjustable, it doesn't have any short circuit protection but this could be added with a sense resistor and an extra transistor. The recorder would still work with a simple unregulated diode bridge and 1000uF smoothing capacitor. The recorder can have the full 7.5 volts applied as it was designed to operate at this voltage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.5Vdcpower_supply.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	134460  

Last edited by GeoffK; 15th Dec 2016 at 8:20 pm.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 8:46 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Unless you want to be historically accurate (which would be entirely reasonable), I would not try to copy the Philips power supply. It uses germanium transistors which are getting hard to find and expensive. They may also fail due to old age (search the forum for 'tin whiskers').

You should decide whether you want to buy or build. If you want to buy you will probably end up with what is called a 'switch mode power supply' I think that will be OK for a tape recorder. You would then have to make the adapter lead to link it to the 5 pin DIN socket. All switch mode power supplies are voltage-regulated by the way.

If you are going to build it, you would build a so-called linear supply with a mains transformer, rectifier, smoothing capacitor and regulator circuit. You then need to decide whether to make the regulator out of discrete transistors (as shown in some of the diagrams here) or use a regulator IC. I suggested the LM317 earlier. This device has 3 connections, it looks like a power transistor, and you fix it to a heatsink. You have to wire it up to 2 resistors as shown on the datasheet (which I am sure you can download), the data sheet will tell you how the output voltage is controlled by the resistors.

It's up to you. Make a choice and somebody here will help you with it.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 8:49 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
Thanks for that, I was going to download it but I couldn't remember my password for the Radio Museum site!
I found it on Google Images amongst all the other illustrations.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 10:06 pm   #10
mitajohn
Pentode

You need something like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-AC-DC-Ad...item41b702f869 and you have to change the plug as the one attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	din_plug.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	134478  

Last edited by mitajohn; 15th Dec 2016 at 10:34 pm.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 12:34 am   #11
Nicklyons2
Octode

I think I've got a legit Philips branded power supply; I can't remember whether it's 6 or 7 volts but I can check if you wish. It's 'open ended' at the moment but if you wish I think I can find a DIN plug to put on if it's of any interest.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 1:08 am   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

During the oil crisis, 3 day week, frequent power cuts, days of the 1970's I used to run my EL3302 from a 6V motor cycle battery with no problems. I had recalled from when we helped a friend fit one to his car in the late 1960's, that the Philips N6705 car mounting unit for it (the one with the caddy that the recorder slots into, allowing both playback and recording) was suitable for both 6V and 12V systems, which is confirmed by the Radiomuseum entry here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips...heit_6705.html

Philips also did a car lead (EL2233) for 12V electrics that AFAIR was simply a ventilated metal box containing a watty resistor to drop the excess 6V or so, and a lead with a plug for the recorder. For cars with 6V electrics (such as older VW Beetles), you could just connect directly to the car battery. The EL33xx series draw an approximately constant current of about 90- 100mA (the current drawn by the motor is much greater than the current drawn by the electronics) so a simple series resistor dropper is all that was needed. I made up my own, having discovered by experiment that, contrary to what I had expected, the current did not rise when the end of the tape was reached so that the capstan was bearing on stationary tape and a stationary rubber pinch roller. My plan of detecting the higher current to make an automatic end-of-tape switch-off circuit therefore came to nought. AFAIR, the speed only started to drop when the battery voltage had fallen to about 1V per cell. Thus the effective operating range was around 5.0V to 7.5V, making precise voltage regulation a bit of an overkill.

Last edited by emeritus; 16th Dec 2016 at 1:17 am.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 1:58 am   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

I used to run my old EL3302 from a modified (output connector changed to 6-pin DIN) universal unregulated power supply without problems, and also successfully used a 6V spring-terminal lantern battery wired to the DC input.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 11:03 am   #14
mitajohn
Pentode

It is very easy to assemble the plug, follow the pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	240-din_ass.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	134484  
Old 21st Dec 2016, 12:04 pm   #15
Robbie99
Retired Dormant Member

Apologies for late reply I've not had time to check back into the forum for boring work and Christmas panic reasons. Wow, what fantastic response. Really appreciate how helpful, detailed and generous your replies were.

I have decided to use my 6 volt supply with my 6 pin DIN plug. I have now learnt from you that a) the device draws the current it needs and b) that it has a flexible operating voltage range. So thanks again to threeseven, TonyDuell, Hetrodyne, mitajohn, NickyLyons2, emeritus, AC/HL and julie_m . Fingers crossed the machine works when it gets some power!
Closed Thread