UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2016, 3:24 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Cossor 1601 Tape Recorder

Hi folks

I have recently acquired this tape recorder and as I understand it is the re badged version of the Philips AG8108, so far, I have replaced the fabric on the base and the lid and also done a little tidy up of the plastic cover which is on the base of the machine. I soon found out why the spools would not turn, no belts, they have totally disintegrated into a horrible black mess, to find to length of the main belt I used a piece of string after cleaning the pulleys and other parts where the belt runs to find the length. PI x D = C. I made it 350mm so it quite big belt, Just a matter of finding a company that supplies a belt this size and thickness in square types. The other thing at the moment is the spring loaded catch on the lid, see picture, but more to follow.

Regards

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00236.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	134732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00238.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	134733   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00235.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	134734  
Old 21st Dec 2016, 3:51 pm   #2
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Default Re: Cossor 1601 Tape Recorder

Hello Ken,

There are some belts on ebay.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 21st Dec 2016, 7:44 pm   #3
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Tony

Thanks for the info, when I get the belts I will update the progress on restoration, might be a while yet.

Ken
Old 21st Dec 2016, 8:31 pm   #4
wd40addict
Octode

Ah my first reel-to-reel

I got mine secondhand in 1980. The belt was a a bit stretched and it was still possible to buy packs of belts made by 'tape recorder spares' at the local electrical shop! Sadly the replacement wasn't a perfect fit and eventually I sold the machine on.

Watch out for the clutches under the reel hubs, these will almost certainly need fettling!

Listening to the tapes I made at the time the machine could record with much better sound quality than it could play back!

Good luck!
Old 21st Dec 2016, 9:34 pm   #5
ricard
Octode

Interesting that the original belts had turned gooey, my experience has been that this machine is from the pre-gooey belt era. The belts do tend to stretch, but otherwise are very stable and don't crack or show other signs of degeneration. Perhaps the belt has in fact been replaced during the course of the machine's lifetime.

Also, this machine seems to have the same chassis as the four track Philips EL3542, owing to the track selector switch on the right hand side, whereas the AG8108, which seems to be the British designation for the EL3516, is a two-track machine. The mechanical chassis should be mainly identical though (especially regarding the belt length).
Old 21st Dec 2016, 10:31 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

Ken I have the manufacturers service info for the CR1601

It's Dated August 1960

Ricard is correct its a 4 track machine.

A simple search on Ebay brings up a belt set under the model number CR1601

PM me if you need any info from the manual it does not give belt sizes just the part numbers.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 2:16 pm   #7
Radio Tech
Nonode

Will do Mike, just waiting for belts to come then do some more work on it, I would like to get hold of another case latch / lock, that's the one in the first picture, springs have gone and I cant remember the exact name for that type of latch at the front of the cabinet on the lid. Strange machine to work on though.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 25th Dec 2016, 11:59 am   #8
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi folks

While working on this machine I had a look on the underside and noticed the mechanism that appears to operate the switching of the amplifier section, there seems to be a spring missing so I am not sure of its length, it has some relation on the piano buttons that control the tape speed. See what you think, picture not a good one admittedly.

Best wishes

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00240.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	134897  
Old 25th Dec 2016, 5:46 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The 'Phlips Tape Recorder Book' (Focal Press) suggests that the Cossor 1601 is equivalent to the Philips EL3542 as others have suggested. That would fit with it being a 3 speed 4 track machine.
Closed Thread