UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2016, 1:53 pm   #1
Umpa2016
Triode

Default Elizabethan LZ34 instructions and connecting to PC.

Hello, I have just bought an Elizabethan LZ34. I have bought it to try an listen to some very old tapes my late father made of me and my grandma when I was just a baby. This would have been in the very late 60's and early 70's.

I know he recorded them on a Truvox reel to reel, which after looking at the pictures on the net I believe to be an R104

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could post a scan of the operating instructions for this LZ34, I am interested in knowing how I can transfer the sound output to my computer, I am guessing I will need a phono to 3.5mm jack and take the output from the MON socket ?

Also can some one tell me what the lever on the left does? It seems to lock whilst playing, I have a feeling it has something to do with the microphone, but can't get the device to record.

Thanks for reading

Regards

Ian.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 2:22 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Elizabethan LZ34 instructions and connecting to PC.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I think the lever you're referring to is the spring loaded Playback/Record selector. If you "play " tapes with this operated you'll erase them!

The most common electrical problem with vintage tape recorders is dirty contacts on the various switches. I suggest cleaning them with Servisol before doing anything else.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 5:53 pm   #3
Umpa2016
Triode

Thanks for the info, I think there may be something wrong with the lever as I cant seem to get it to stay in the up position. Now I may be doing it wrong - so if some one can offer any kind of operating advice I would be very grateful.

Also I have noticed different designs of this old reel device on ebay all with the same model number. I am wondering how many variations of this machine there are - if anyone has any info or links that would be nice.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 6:44 pm   #4
Station X

The lever is spring loaded towards PLAY.

To record push the lever away from you against spring tension, then move the right hand control along the leg of the 'T' to the RECORD/PLAYBACK position. The lever will then lock in position. The two controls are interlocked to prevent RECORD being engaged and then FAST FORWARD or REWIND being selected and to prevent the lever being moved if the right hand control is in any position other than neutral.

There was a time when everyone with a small amount of electronics knowledge knew how to operate these decks. However, like the operation of autochangers, that knowledge has largely vanished and people seem unable to work out how to use them.

Old 15th Dec 2016, 6:50 pm   #5
Umpa2016
Triode

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed - that's for sure, and I bet that has something to do with it LOL.

Anyway, there is something very wrong with it. I turned it on and there was a smell of burning wood, and smoke came out of it.

It was sold to me as fully working with 'minor wear and tear' - so I think I am going to return it.

If I do I will still be looking for another as I have to copy these tapes one way or another !

Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 6:53 pm   #6
Station X

As you say, the best thing to do is return it to the seller for a refund.

If you post in the "Repair and Restoration Services Wanted section you may find someone who can convert the tapes' content to a digital format for you.

Old 15th Dec 2016, 6:56 pm   #7
Umpa2016
Triode

Well no sooner did I ask to return it, I got a refund straight away and have been told to keep it. So I might take a look at it before taking it to the dump.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 9:40 pm   #8
Umpa2016
Triode

Well It turns out that it is the larger of the 2 transformers that has burned out. Presumably because one of the valves was not seated correctly.

So I guess its a dumper, as I don't know what the values are. If anyone has a spare or knows of an equivalent plz let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161215_200813.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	134469   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161215_200835.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	134470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161215_200926.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	134471  
Old 15th Dec 2016, 11:02 pm   #9
Station X

You can download the service sheet for your recorder here:-

http://www.service-data.com/product....46/2224/a11646

Valves are ECC83, ECL86 and EM84 (magic eye). Their designations should be on the glass.

Your pictures show the mains transformer and it doesn't look too bad to me so long as you didn't let it smoke for long. A loose valve is unlikely to have caused it to cook. Far more likely to be down to a faulty smoothing or coupling capacitor.

Does the transformer still smoke with the valves removed?

Old 15th Dec 2016, 11:34 pm   #10
Umpa2016
Triode

Thanks for the info, the unit works, but the tranny gets very hot. For now I have it stripped down and fans blowing on it, while I transfer the tapes. Not an ideal solution but its working.

No fans and it starts smoking, the windings are showing a temp of over 100c with cooling.

I only need it for these few tapes, i am not sure if its worth spending much to repair it as these tapes are all I need it for.

To give you a laugh I have posted the picture of my death trap solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	danger.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	134479  
Old 16th Dec 2016, 12:36 am   #11
ben
Dekatron

There is likely to be a short 'downstream' of the transformer. Diode/rectifier or capacitor short circuit somewhere very near the power supply. Not too difficult to trace and fix. A basic multimeter from a market stall will enable you to quickly see where the short is that is overloading the transformer. It seems a shame to run it in this state when it would take so little effort to do things properly and saver another vintage machine from the scrap heap, but it takes all sorts I suppose.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 12:44 am   #12
Umpa2016
Triode

Thanks for that, I will take a look in to it. I will take a look at fixing it as soon as I transfer the tapes. As you have gathered though - this machine is just a means to an end for me. I bought it to do one job - once ! and will have no use for it there after.

I know that will sound bad to some - but the truth is always better than a lie.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 12:45 am   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Hi Ian. Well this is a new one. You personify the "new" approach to repair and restoration ie working from the opposite end of the spectrum to the traditional but if it works for you before becoming a conflagration, maybe that's all you need. I'm quite a "fan" of your ingenuity. Perhaps you are admitting to an approach that some of us wouldn't but generally speaking, an attempt at repair would come first.

It's reminds me of a story that fascinated me as a boy, about workers starting up Diesel tractors in the deeply frozen Yukon. They set fire to a pool of petrol underneath, jumped on and repeatedly pressed the starter, desperately hoping the diesel in the line would thaw and the tractor start up, before the whole thing burst into flames

Ironically if you'd just come on here with you're tape transfer problem in the first place, someone may well have done the job for you Don't dump the recorder if you manage to get an audio transfer. We don't like that sort of thing I do hope you manage to recover those priceless audio recordings!

Dave W
Old 16th Dec 2016, 8:56 am   #14
Umpa2016
Triode

Understand that I came on here, looking for an operating manual on how to use it - understanding that it was fully operational. It was never my intent to take it apart - fix it or do anything else to it.

Until I googled the recorder looking for info I did not know this forum even existed. I realise that this device is some peoples hobby, and thats OK - but its not mine and thats OK too.

Anyway I managed to finish what I needed it for. If anyone wants this device, you can collect it from me and have it for free. There is a broken one on eBay going for £30 so you might be able to rob parts to make a complete one.

If not I will take it to the dump.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 10:11 am   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpa2016 View Post
If anyone wants this device, you can collect it from me and have it for free.
That's very kind and considerate

I would suggest you post a brief "ad" here so that everyone sees your offer: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=27

If no takers, I suggest you save the valves as they will be definitely be of interest and could easily be posted.

I'm glad you got your transfers done.

Nick.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 11:09 am   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes, as Nick says, that's a generous offer Ian. It looks like quite a presentable machine. Given that you even got your money back it could be a win win all round. As a new member you wouldn't be aware that the mains transformer was always a costly item. TV's and Record Players of the same period often had circuitry that dispensed with them but the chassis could be live. It wasn't, therefore, possible to do that with Tape Recorders as mikes had to be plugged in externally.

In the way of things, Mains Trs are now [again][ often difficult and expensive to source, buy or rewind. This might explain some of the sensitivities but as you imply, we tend to see the world through restoration goggles on here. I presume you did get reasonable quality audio in the end. If not there are people who may be able to offer particular advice on the software side but that's a bit out of my experience.

Cheers,
Dave W
Old 16th Dec 2016, 11:33 am   #17
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
...we tend to see the world through restoration goggles on here. I presume you did get reasonable quality audio in the end. If not there are people who may be able to offer particular advice on the software side but that's a bit out of my experience.
As far as I can see, this is less a restoration issue than that of having the kit to do the job. And as one who does this for a living, I can tell you that no software is a cure for not getting it right on the transfer.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 11:43 am   #18
GeoffK
Heptode

Were these recorders made by Bush? The front grille looks very similar to an SRP50. Without these machines there would be no memories to recapture so it does seem a shame if the unit is just junked after retrieving them when it could easily be repaired, probably just a faulty smoothing capacitor, though by now the mains transformer that might have survived will now be a bit too far gone though could be rewound.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 12:08 pm   #19
Station X

As this thread has reached a conclusion, as far as the OP is concerned, I'll close it.

Anyone who wishes to avail themselves of the OP's offer should contact him directly by email or PM.

Closed Thread