UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2008, 9:27 pm   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Pam 822F 405 line console

Hi All,

Several weeks ago I was lucky enough to go down to Devon with Tazman1966 and meet up with Mikey405. (Mike Bennett) Mike let me take home an old Pam 822F (F denotes fringe model I have been told by Tas) and a Philips T-vette

The set was shrink wrapped by Mike for storage and on getting the set home and unwrapping it was found that cosmetically the set was in good condition. On removing the back I was amazed at the amount of crud in there! All the top surfaces of everything were covered in an alarming amount of cooked on and settled dust, in a way this was good because it showed no sign of the phantom twiddler being in there!
I also noticed that the only sign of repair was a circular RS dropper section had been bridged across a failed section of the original dropper and that the selenium rectifier had been removed and replaced by a metal cased diode and an RS circular power resistor which gives me a hunch that this was done some time ago.

Right, first steps that were taken were to remove the chassis and give it a damn good blast with the air gun and feather out all the crud from the crevasses with a small paint brush. Then it was up onto the bench where all the waxies were replaced on sight, including the two hidden on the back of the LOPT (cheers Tas, I wouldn’t have spotted them if you hadn’t said.) There were several resistors in the frame stage too that were out of spec so these were also changed with high voltage RS 1watt types, mainly because they look similar to the originals in size and colour. There were also a couple of failed resistors in the PSU stage dropping the voltage to relevant stages. The smoother had dried up and measured 1400pF!! I swapped that out for a replacement too!

I putt in a replacement 12AX7 for the one that had lost its vacuum and set about returning the chassis to its cabinet.

I applied power through the variac and slowly wound it up to full, after a little time a line whistle burst into life, Hooray! Shortly after I was rewarded with testcard C from the Aurora, the tube is nice and bright but there was far too much contrast, Right power down and time to take the chassis out again. With the chassis back on the bench and a thorough re-examination I found a wax cap on the tuner and controls assembly that had previously avoided my eye! On replacing this and getting the chassis returned once again to its rightful place I was rewarded with a decent picture, I had to tweak linearity and height but that is about it.

All that remains now is to sort out the remaining cosmetics of the set. The feet of the set have unfortunately lost their veneer so all I am thinking of doing is painting them in a dark gloss brown, I think this will be acceptable. The brass trim has tarnished so I will polish this up and re-lacquer it.

I would lastly like to say a big thank you to Mikey Bennett for letting me take this set away, I’m over the moon with it.

Cheers
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	17322   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	17323   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	17324   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	17325   Click image for larger version

Name:	e.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	17326  

Old 20th May 2008, 9:28 pm   #2
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: Pam 822F 405 line console

And the rest!

Cheers
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	17327   Click image for larger version

Name:	g.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	17328   Click image for larger version

Name:	h.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	17329  
Old 20th May 2008, 10:09 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Looks lovely does that. Well done that man!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:29 pm   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Lee.

It looks just as good in real life too doesn't it? What a corker. I look forward to seeing it having pride of place indoors.

Cheers fella,
Old 21st May 2008, 12:04 am   #5
stuie319
Pentode

Hi there,

Thats a belter looks superb well done

Stu
Old 21st May 2008, 8:28 am   #6
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Thanks for the replies chaps,
The set was actually quite a straight forward enjoyable restoration, I guess from start to finish it took a couple of weeks. (Real work unfortunately gets in the way!)

Cheers
Lee
Old 21st May 2008, 9:16 am   #7
newlite4
Octode

Very interesting 'baffle' type design Lee, chassis looks similar to that in the Pye V310s. I am sure that it has many years life ahead of it now that it has been brought back, nice job.
Neil
Old 21st May 2008, 6:17 pm   #8
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

What an unusual (and nice) looking set! It does look very top heavy though .. hope we don't get any more earth tremors

BG
Old 25th May 2008, 12:33 pm   #9
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Yes an interesting looking set , Good one for a collection . Very nice
Old 28th May 2008, 7:26 am   #10
Mikey405
Octode

That looks like an excellent job there Lee - Well done on getting it going old mate. I'm glad it went to a good home.
Old 28th May 2008, 7:56 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Hello Lee,

I know very little about old tellies but I have to say that that one is a good looking set

Howard
Closed Thread