UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2018, 7:53 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Advance E2 signal generator

I bought this generator as untested from an Internet auction site and decided to have a quick look inside before plugging it in. The 6X5 rectifier valve was missing and closer inspection revealed a vintage modification consisting of a metal "top hat" silicone diode wired from one of the anode pins to the main smoothing can. The 6X5 is connected as a half wave rectifier in this model. The repairer had thoughtfully included a surge limiting resistor in series with the diode but had inadvertently bypassed a 560 ohm resistor that had been in series with the valve's cathode. I fitted a used 6X5 and restored the circuitry to it's original state. Switching on produced RF output, tested by plugging a short length of wire into the output socket and placing a transistor radio nearby. However there was no AF modulation tone or any AF from the output socket. The Advance uses one half of a 6SN7 double triode for an AF oscillator, with the other triode used as HT regulator and modulator for the RF circuits. Following advice on this forum I replaced the two .05uF capacitors connected to the AF oscillator transformer, using 1000v types. This restored full operation.

I noticed when testing at VHF that with a short piece of wire connected to the "full RF" output socket, I could easily wipe out a transistor radio 30 feet away that was tuned to our local FM station. A little RF can go a long way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Advance 1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	169414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advance 2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	169415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advance 3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	169416  
Old 16th Sep 2018, 8:26 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Advance E2 signal generator

These are great little generators. I wouldn't mind betting that if you check it with a frequency counter, you'll find it pretty accurate.