UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2019, 8:38 pm   #1
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Heath Robinson

The WW2 codebreaking machine is on display at Bletchley: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-47813994
Old 7th Apr 2019, 10:11 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Heath Robinson

Is the fact that it's working something new? I've seen it, or its twin whenever I've been to BP.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Apr 2019, 10:25 am   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Googling for it doesn't really answer the question. Clearly it has been under construction for the best part of twenty years. Maybe it has only recently been completed into working condition?
Old 7th Apr 2019, 2:23 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I didn't know anything about this early version, pre-dating the later work re code breaking! Today's Observer has a story about Eric Jones whose management and organisational skills are equated with the technical input from Turing and others. He was the "King of Calm" in hut 3 managing the people and processing the information decoded. "He was not from a mathematical or cryptographic background-it was his quick thinking and people skills that were really important". It's thought that he learned these in his father's Textile Mill at Macclesfield. The article ["Revealed;the unsung D-Day hero whose role at Bletchley was as vital as Alan Turing's"] is based on a book written by BP's Research Historian David Kenyon 'Bletchley Park and D Day'. There's a claim that it's "the first one out on the subject since 19792 but I doubt that can be true

Dave W
Old 7th Apr 2019, 2:39 pm   #5
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Should anyone be interested there is a Heath Robinson Museum in Pinner, where he lived.

https://www.heathrobinsonmuseum.org/

Regards - Mike
Old 7th Apr 2019, 2:59 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks Mike. My son and family now live at Edgeware [5 miles] so that will be very handy!

Dave W
Closed Thread