UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2019, 4:48 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radio'

Some forum members might be interested in this newly published book.

Here's a little from the synopsis:

Quote:

The book’s title comes from the Dutch town whose legend was emblazoned on the dials of old wireless sets, alongside a host of other European place names, Athlone included. In the opening chapter, Connelly recounts how he began hoarding vintage radios after his father’s death, prompting memories of his childhood love affair with the medium. “Each radio represented a slice of intimacy, a deeply personal instrument of comfort,” he writes.

Wireless experiments:

Such sentences appear to herald an air of reverie, but the book is more a free-flowing conversation with an overenthusiastic radio buff. Connelly crams his book with detail, from descriptions of the Dorset hotel where Guglielmo Marconi conducted his groundbreaking wireless experiments to the challenges of running Britain’s smallest station on a remote Scottish coastline...

Unquote.

The book is presently only in hardback and costs £20.00. It can be bought from Foyles here:

https://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/histo...-9781408889992

There's a bit more about it here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...adio-1.3758882

Hope that might be of interest to someone.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 5:06 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radi

Hilversum, Athlone...Reminds me of Van the man with the Telefunken.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 6:26 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radi

Just bought it on Amazon Market Place for £13.21 post free.

(Kindle version is a tenner).
Old 5th Feb 2019, 6:51 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Sounds like a very interesting book. Might buy a copy to peruse at leisure.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 12:50 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Sounds interesting. I have just ordered a copy on Amazon too, £13.69 with free delivery to a Doddle collection store.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th Feb 2019, 2:04 pm   #6

I got the Kindle edition, didn't "float my boat" at all, returned it for a refund. All about sociology et al, nothing about radio proper.

Old 6th Feb 2019, 4:57 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I think I will take a look. The last time David referenced a book ["The Girl From Station X" December 12th] someone had the same sort of disappointed reaction Merlin but it's an individual thing isn't it? I think David made it very clear [on both occasions] that it wasn't necessarily a very technical book.

Dave
Old 6th Feb 2019, 8:43 pm   #8

Well that is one point to Kindle, I could return it in short order and get a no quibble refund. It does make me more likely to try a book that I may not like, most times I have kept them.

Old 6th Feb 2019, 9:08 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes I suppose you're right-I didn't even know that kindle do refunds like that Merlin but I'm glad you got your money back. I'm one of those people who struggle a bit with reading whole books via screens! It may be psychological but I definitely don't enjoy the experience. It probably protects me from all sorts of Internet downsides though, like an aversion to games.

Dave
Old 6th Feb 2019, 9:08 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I've used my Kindle less and less over time.

The main problem with Kindle is that e-books carry 20% VAT whereas paper books have no VAT. You can't pass Kindle books on to anyone else to read. I occasionally download Kindle books, but not often nowadays. If the book has been in print for at least a year or so, my first option is to check the 'used' price, which is often less than Kindle, then when I've read it, I can pass it on to someone else or to the Oxfam Bookshop. (Not a general Oxfam shop).

If you take a book such as the best-seller 'Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind', it's £6.99 for the Kindle edition, and £6.99 for the paperback. I bought mine on Amazon Market Place 'good used' for £5.50 post free. It was just like new when it arrived three days later. (Fantastic book by the way).

Some would argue that the Kindle and other e-books scores in convenience in that you can have not just one book, but a whole library in your pocket and that's true.

I can't comment on 'Last Train to Hilversum' - mine doesn't arrive till Friday.
Old 7th Feb 2019, 12:47 pm   #11
Brigham
Octode

The Kindle is useful if you tend to read what everybody else reads.
Otherwise...
Old 10th Feb 2019, 3:40 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

I thought this book sounded familiar It was in the Guardian Review on Jan 19th. Just googling "A Heartfelt and nostalgic celebration of Radio" brings it up right away-and more!

Dave
Old 10th Feb 2019, 6:53 pm   #13
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Mine arrived today but I cannot look at it till Valentines day!
Old 10th Feb 2019, 9:30 pm   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

So it's not just the romance of radio then David [Hamish]

Dave W
Closed Thread