UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2019, 3:51 pm   #81
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV in administration.

The last 2 paras of the BBC article: "HMV sold 31% of all physical music in the UK in 2018 and 23% of all DVDs, with its market share growing month by month throughout the year.

However, the music industry expects physical entertainment sales to shrink by another 17% this year."

Growing market-share of a rapidly-declining industry. Hmmmm.

Though I'm a free-marketeer who is happy for businesses to provide services to their customers, the fact that HMV has crashed twice in the last decade really shouts out to me that this is not a business I will be wanting to see in my pension-fund. Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 4:03 pm   #82
julie_m
Dekatron

Back in the day, a record shop was not just where you went to buy records (or even CDs). In fact, you might well spend longer in there than you really intended and still come out empty-handed. But you had the chance to talk to knowledgeable staff who were passionate about music. And this is without mentioning that nearly all record shops also sold styli, cartridges, blank C-90s, concert and festival tickets and memorabilia -- and the staff knew about all the stuff. As well as the NME and Melody Maker.

The "Holy Grail" when I was at university was to be going out with a boyfriend or girlfriend who worked in a record shop ..... Although being good friends with the partner of several record shop employees was hardly a bad second.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 5:40 pm   #83
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Stores that will close.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 5th Feb 2019, 5:54 pm   #84
stevehertz
Dekatron

Those were the days when you could go into a record shop and listen to the record in a booth. To me, it's sad how the whole 'recorded music' thing has changed. It used to be part of a vibrant, social scene/meeting place, and now it's a case of people anonymously downloading tracks on to a solid state device for their own consumption often via earphones. And of course, the loss of the fabled LP covers and notes. I'd sit for hours listening to the album while studying the artwork and all its intricacies or reading the liner notes. Times have changed, but for the better.....?
Old 5th Feb 2019, 6:46 pm   #85
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

In my earlier post to this thread, I forgot to mention that in Witney, Oxfordshire, there is a very good independent record shop called 'Rapture Records', staffed by knowledgeable and enthusiastic people. They will order items (Vinyl, CD,DVD, Blu-Ray) not in stock, and phone you when the item ordered is available' Their other shop in Oxford, which I haven't visited is 'Truck Music Store'.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 7:07 pm   #86
paulsherwin

I think the Fopp stores were very much riding on the vinyl craze, which seems to have gone off the boil now.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 7:47 pm   #87
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

You could be right there Paul but when there was an HMV Store on the main drag in Manchester the "Fopp Shop" [hidden around the corner] was always more interesting, eclectic and cheap-especially with relatively obscure music and film material available+vinyl! The main store was generally very conservative/predictable and expensive. I hope to be back in time for any closing down sale at Fopp. There was an HMV feature on the BBC News at 6pm but no mention of Fopp of course. It might seem strange that they are closing the original London store but that just highlights a major part of the problem ie extortionate commercial rents!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 5th Feb 2019 at 8:03 pm.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 8:17 pm   #88
Viewmaster
Hexode

Pity the London store in Oxford St is to close.
That's where HMV started.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 8:32 pm   #89
dave walsh
Dekatron

I just mentioned the nostalgia factor Albert but I imagine that if you are trying to revive a chain of shops, the one with a stratospheric site value [it is Oxford Street after all] would be the first to go Unless you could guarantee a very high turnover it would be a risky strategy keeping it on in the current "streaming/download climate". As far as I know there is little left of the original Emporium but I may well be wrong about that!
I wonder what's in the basement?

Dave
Old 5th Feb 2019, 8:37 pm   #90
Martin Bush
Octode

Apparently the Fopp in Oxford is shut already, which is a real shame. I was in yesterday eyeing up a few bits and pieces intending to make a choice later this week.

I've bought from there in the last few years - CDs, LPs and DVDs.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 9:00 pm   #91
dave walsh
Dekatron

Looks like my chances in Manchester might well be limited Martin Thanks for the up-date anyway. I did the same thing, ie I was thinking in November I really should buy some of this stuff in bulk just in case but then I had to go south!

"Events dear boy, events!" Harold Macmillan's definition of Politics circa 1963!

Dave
Old 5th Feb 2019, 10:02 pm   #92
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
In my earlier post to this thread, I forgot to mention that in Witney, Oxfordshire, there is a very good independent record shop called 'Rapture Records', staffed by knowledgeable and enthusiastic people. They will order items (Vinyl, CD,DVD, Blu-Ray) not in stock, and phone you when the item ordered is available' .
IMHO they'd probably be better-minded to take your details/order/payment and have the order shipped direct to your home. Having to make a special journey into a town to collect a tenner's worth of CD/DVD doesn't really mesh well with current consumption-patterns.

If they *really* wanted to be ahead of the game they'd send to your phone a link to a downloadable digital copy at the time you placed your order, so you could listen to it on the way home and then await the hard-copy arriving a few days later. Perhaps I should try to sell this novel marketing idea to HMV?

On the Internet there's no such thing as "not in stock".
Old 5th Feb 2019, 11:03 pm   #93
Richard_FM
Octode

The Manchester & Stockport HMVs seem to be safe, but Manchester's Fopp will be going.

Double Four records in Stockport somehow keeps going, especially as it's open just 3 days a week.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 11:21 pm   #94
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

G6-two points arising (1) I don't have a mobile phone so nither Rapture nor anyone else can text me, and the only way they could send me digital downloadable copies is to my home computer - I haven't asked them if they are able and willing to do that. (2) As a pensioner I can travel on the buses for free, and go to Witney every once in a while anyway. I don't drive so am not adding to the traffic on the roads, since the buses would be running whether I was a passenger or not.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 11:31 pm   #95
Dual Standard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
The Manchester & Stockport HMVs seem to be safe, but Manchester's Fopp will be going.

Double Four records in Stockport somehow keeps going, especially as it's open just 3 days a week.
My understanding from the press reports is that the shops scheduled for closure closed this morning so Fopp Manchester has already gone.

Yes, Double Four must be struggling, I am sure they used to be open 5 days a week. It must be very difficult for them as the shop is too far out from the town center for passing trade other than visitors to Richer Sounds further up Hillgate.

Mike
Old 6th Feb 2019, 12:33 am   #96
Martin Bush
Octode

Just a quick word on Rapture. I go there when I can and it does offer something different in that you can get brand new and used discs there - not a new concept, but rare these days. You can also pick out used records to play on their decks to check they are what you want... You can even get a coffee.

In fact I once went in and there was a DJ playing reggae with some chaps playing percussion. That widened my listening habits somewhat.

Anyway, while it may seem a bit off topic, my point is that Rapture is worth a journey. You can't download the experience and it's rare you leave without buying. Neither HMV not Fopp truly captured that aspect.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 12:44 am   #97
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've got family in Oxford so I will check out Live Wire's Witney/City Centre leads-especially if Martin is a fan! [I'm hoping to look at the Marconi Archive in the Bodleian]. My son had a Record/Dub Plate shop in Mosley Birmingham for eight years-"Jibbering Records" if that rings a bell with anyone there? Shambala Festival?

PS. A number of people seem to be posting here without noticing what's been said already

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 6th Feb 2019 at 12:55 am.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 9:42 am   #98
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Dave, Rapture Records is in the Woolgate Centre in Witney. Truck Music Store is, I believe, on the Cowley road, but I've never visited that shop. A quick Google should give the addresses, phone numbers & postcodes of both shops. I've lived here for over 50 years, been to Oxford many times, and worked in Osney Mead for over 23, but I've never been to the Bodlean Library or seen the Marconi Archive. Must rectify that omission!
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:06 am   #99
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Disaster....if the only HMV record shop in Bromley closes its doors! It's the only record shop I know that has all music tastes and stocks a huge range of prog rock and heavy rock from the 60's, 70's, 80's and all the latest stuff as well. They are selling lots of back-catalogue re-issues on vinyl. I have spent far too much money and time in there.........
….and it appears that the Bromley shop is safe. I actually went in there on Saturday expecting to see closure signs etc but not so and they were as busy as ever. Needless to say I spent yet another £10 in there (they do two for £10 deals on selected CD's) so another ELO and a ZZ Top CD are now in the car.....
I was pleased to note that the Bromley branch is not in the list of closures when I checked yesterday.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:54 am   #100
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Like many shops, niche marketing's the only way to go, and maybe HMV relaunched will do this. There are still some people who are willing to pay for a product and receive good advice. If you want, say Thom Yorke on vinyl, a remastered John Coltrane or perhaps some Tallis or Stockhausen then there are still good independent shops for you. However if you want Now 150, Relaxing Classics or Opera's Greatest Hits then perhaps online's the best place.
I always liked the part in the film of High Fidelity where the assistant (Jack Black) refused to sell a customer Stevie Wonder's 'I Just Called (To Say I Love You)' as his niece wouldn't like it! Sound advice, less sound customer relations....
Closed Thread