UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2021, 12:34 pm   #1
john.brownx
Diode

Default Teac A-3440. Record function won't engage.

I have an A-3440 and the record function will not engage, anyone know how to access the rear of the switch panel?

Thanks.

Last edited by Station X; 12th Oct 2021 at 7:34 pm. Reason: Post moved to new thread.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 10:59 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Teac A-3440. Record function won't engage.

Silly question. Are the record enable switches engaged?
Old 15th Oct 2021, 11:30 am   #3
john.brownx
Diode

All four red lights are on when track selected for "Record"
Old 15th Oct 2021, 8:27 pm   #4
theoldtrout
Hexode

We've serviced several of these. First remove it from its wooden sleeve if it has one. [There are several versions of this machine] Then remove the back covers, it is self evident how it comes apart and you can access the switches through rear. The service manual is available as a free download if you do an Internet search.
Old 15th Oct 2021, 11:27 pm   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.brownx View Post
All four red lights are on when track selected for "Record"
Right. If the four switches are correctly arming the tracks when pressed, then perhaps the problem is not in the switches. Then again, there might be more than one set of contacts per switch, so it could be related to dirty switch contacts. But for the fours switches to all correctly illuminate the four respective track arm LED's but wont permit the record function itself seems unlikely.

(I assume that when Record and Play are pressed together, and a tape loaded it wont go into record as normally shown by the red light at the Record button lighting up).

These 3440's were a sort of hybrid of the more standard stereo Teac machines to make them 4 track/4 channel. There are extra PCB's sitting piggy back on top of the main horizontal motherboard, making it a more complicated disassemble and reassemble.

A general long term problem with a range of these Teac open reel machines is related to the motherboard having double sided printed tracks, or at least upwards facing tracks. The tracks facing upwards collect the dirt and dust which falls down into the machine when the top cooling vents arent covered. I've seen multiple copper tracks eaten away from the corrosion caused by the dust. Repairing these corroded tracks can take some time. Let's hope that isnt the problem!

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 15th Oct 2021 at 11:38 pm.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 12:07 am   #6
Top Cap
Octode

Check out this link to my website article on the 3440. It may give you some assistance.
Start at Page 12 for Recording info.
http://g4cnh.com/public/Teac_A3440_a..._circuitry.pdf
Old 16th Oct 2021, 2:03 am   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

That's great work Les and should a great help to the OP in diagnosing the record engage problem. I also like the added headphone amp.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 9:59 am   #8
theredhouseinn
Hexode

It is unlikely to be the switch panel, I had to repair one of these a few years ago and found that the soldered joints were becoming intermittent. The boards are flow soldered and the solder arround some of the joints is very thin and the joint has a circular crack arround the component wire or pin. By close examination of the joint, a magnifying glass helps, you can just see the very faint black circular crack about one mm from the pin. This problem was mainly on the mother board.
Have fun.
Old 16th Oct 2021, 11:19 am   #9
john.brownx
Diode

Excellent article, certainly a great help. Have put recorder up for sale as I have disposed of most of my test equipment ( age catching up).

Last edited by Michael Maurice; 16th Oct 2021 at 2:11 pm. Reason: Removed eBay remark to conform to forum rules
Closed Thread