UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2021, 4:57 pm   #1
baza100
Triode

Default 3D printed button colour

Hello, Any ideas on what I can do to get the Bakelite colour for the control button? Would it be easier to paint the original one a modern colour to match the 2 that I have printed out?

Thanks, Barry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio b.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	237088  
Old 4th Jul 2021, 7:52 pm   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: 3D printed button colour

Apparently dyes designed for polyester work well, but take care if using heated dye to improve colour, as PLA deforms at a surprisingly low temperature. It would probably be best to print a full set of new knobs and dye them the same way.
Even alcohol-based Sharpie pens can be used for colouring, although I have not tried.
Let us know how you get on!
-Jeremy
Old 5th Jul 2021, 12:23 am   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

You can paint 3d prints - some detail here https://3dinsider.com/how-to-paint-pla/

A 'net search with 'painting PLA' will bring more info.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 7:50 am   #4
SeanStevens
Octode

Hi, I agree.

Make a whole set and paint/dye them all the same. Then you will have what looks like an intentional set, rather than a mis-match.

Alternatively, you could visit Retrotech and find a replacment in the bins of spares people have. I've found every control knob replacment I've needed at such places.

The printed ones will be fine until you find an original or three.

SEAN
Old 26th Jul 2021, 12:15 am   #5
Tempest_5
Diode

I have changed from PLA to PETG as I found this works better at the higher temps and is waterproof.

I have been creating some buttons & knobs for a flight sim project I've been working on for a while. I used Halfords primer and various Tamiya acrylic paints or Halfords spray paints on top with good effect on both PLA and PETG.

Just be patient between coats and don't make them too thick as I got a crackle effect when I was impatient and laid on a lot of paint at once. Remember to key the print first with sandpaper.
Closed Thread