UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2021, 12:58 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Black Star 3225MP – Conversion to an illuminated LCD feasible?

Hi!

Just a quick one!

I have just received a Black Star 3225MP in the post this morning, it arrived undamaged and the only thing rattling was the spare fuse in the i.e.c. mains inlet. Fuse Drawer!

Apart from the lack of a s.m., (which isn't too serious as these meters are only 7106 based), is it feasible to replace the LCD with a type that can be illuminated?

(I believe you could get an E.L. panel that was designed for these LCDs at one time, are they still available?)

I think the LCD is one of those standard 3½ digit 40–pin direct drive types that's made for the '7106 & it's clones with "low batt" (obviously not needed with the "MP" models!) and "minus" annunciators!

The display as it comes is far too dark and murky for my eyesight!

Chris Williams
Old 18th Oct 2021, 1:23 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Black Star 3225MP – Conversion to an illuminated LCD feasible?

Hi,

I have managed to backlight the LCD in one of my Fluke multimeters before, I used the LED backlight and it’s diffuser from a broken iPod display! First thing to check is whether or not the LCD is suited to backlighting, luckily the Fluke’s display was, check by shining a light through the back of it, some displays aren’t transparent enough, this is caused by the silver backing, another of my Fluke’s was like this, the backing blocked all the light so I didn’t bother with that one. If your feeling brave you can peel off the silver backing and replace it with something more translucent, but it’s a bit of a faff.. You could try lighting it from the side of the LCD, but I have always found that approach unsatisfactory.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 18th Oct 2021, 1:38 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I have one of these meters, so will be keeping an eye on this thread. I don't find the display particularly difficult to read, but agree it would be better backlit, so I may try this mod myself once you've worked out how to do it

I'd be grateful for any docs you come across too.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 1:54 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Thanks for the tip Lloyd – I can try that no problems!

I can certainly produce a basic circuit diagram for the meter I have got, but one thing I wouldn't be able to reproduce easily is Black Star's parts list with the official part numbers, and to document the differences between the 3210 & the 3225 I'd have to buy a 3210!

Has anyone tried TTi yet? – I don't want to bother Tris Wilding again so soon after he so generously provided the Orion Manual for me!

Chris Williams