UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2021, 6:48 pm   #41
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Too much Packaging!

Probably the luckiest (not enough) packaging for me was when I ordered some diodes from Agilent in the US. The two matched diodes had an HP part number that was classed as a repair kit for my VNA. I was lucky to buy a dead ex-rental HP8714B VNA for about £200 many years ago and it just needed the official repair kit consisting of two glass diodes.

The diodes arrived in a tiny brown 'payslip' envelope with the diodes inside and the letter and my address label were stapled to it. I'm guessing the outer jiffy bag must have become damaged and someone in the postal service stapled the insides together (but minus an outer envelope).

By the time it got to me the staple was beginning to fail and it was just about holding together. The diodes cost about £75 for the pair so it was just as well it all held together.
Old 13th Oct 2021, 7:19 pm   #42
duncanlowe
Nonode

I despair at packaging sometimes. CPC are often OTT.

But the most silly I have seen was many years ago. For work, I ordered some connecting leads. These were each 150mm ish long, with a multi pin connector on one end, and a variety of standard connectors (3.5mm, mini USB, apple iPod connector). They were packed for retail, so each in a small plastic bag, with folded cardboard stapled to the top. Five of each type. They arrived in a large cardboard box 500x500x200 (mm).

Now that might not sound too mad, but each version of the lead came in it's own box, so 3 boxes each with 5 small plastic bags. Nuts.
Old 13th Oct 2021, 7:24 pm   #43
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

I had a box arrive a few weeks ago the contents of which was:-
Qty 1 0805 Surface Mount capacitor that had been on back order...

Denis
Old 13th Oct 2021, 7:48 pm   #44
Glowing Bits!
Octode

I don't have a problem with too much packaging, it keeps the garage warm, same with plastic stuff, makes lots of heat👍
Old 13th Oct 2021, 8:19 pm   #45
dglcomp
Heptode

I brought a laptop off eBay only for it to be sent in just a plastic mailing bag, naturally it didn't work on arrival and in the end eBay let me send it back for a refund (the return packaging being much more substantial!).

I did once have a male IEC connector missed off a Thomann order so after emailing them they sent another one out in a box about 30CM².
Old 14th Oct 2021, 10:16 pm   #46
jamesperrett
Octode

I think Aldi may have been taking lessons from CPC. Just had a set of LED cycle lights delivered in a box of around 30 x 20 x 20 cm - but at least it was filled with recyclable brown paper rather than plastic air filled bags.
Old 14th Oct 2021, 10:56 pm   #47
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
I brought a laptop off eBay only for it to be sent in just a plastic mailing bag, naturally it didn't work on arrival and in the end eBay let me send it back for a refund (the return packaging being much more substantial!).
I bought a Makita battery drill-driver off ebay which came in one of those flimsy bags. It was cheap as the 2-speed gearbox would not engage (I thought I could fix it) but luckily it got knocked about in the post enough that the gearbox problem fixed itself and all was working well on arrival
Old 14th Oct 2021, 11:25 pm   #48
Radio Wrangler

The first sighting of something arriving better than when committed to a courier.

But we're at risk of listing everything which ever happened to every parcel, so perhaps it's time to give this thread a rest and conclude, in the immortal words of the intro to 'Stingray' "Anything can happen in the next half-hour" once someone hands a parcel over. The next half hours are each just as risky, too.

David