UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2021, 6:43 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Caught in the act!

Pye FV1C. Nice if the LOPT is OK. J.
Old 4th Aug 2021, 7:24 pm   #22
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Pye FV1C. Nice if the LOPT is OK. J.
Yes it is - luckily!

Going back to August 2019, so from memory what I found was that a couple of sections of the dropper were OC and I think the thermistor due to age, and also despite my best efforts the main smoothing can had completely had it and had to be replaced. I then struggled with a fault in the frame time-base/output and having previously thought that the innards were original and previously untouched, I found that a small inter-stage transformer had pencilled on label marks and signs that it had previously been disconnected. This set was from the top floor of what had once been a TV shop belonging to a reputable TV repair man who knew his stuff. So I then suspected that this set had been taken out of service years ago due to a difficult to diagnose fault that was suspected to be due to this little transformer, but he decided that the set was too good to scrap, so put it into cold storage in the attic room to return to on another day that never came.

It may not be this transformer, but I got side tracked onto other things and the set went once again into cold storage. I need to return to it sometime and have a really good go at it...I'm supposed to know what I'm doing - believe it or not!
Old 4th Aug 2021, 7:50 pm   #23
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi Techman if you had seen the worm on Davids cabinet part you would have split your sides laughing as it did look like a WW2 trooper kind regards Bob
Old 4th Aug 2021, 8:34 pm   #24
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, I remember David working on an early mirror lid TV that was virtually disintegrating with woodworm, and I remember thinking about the wooden floor of the building that could be seen in the pictures and that in several years time it would possibly start showing infestation too - I wonder if it has yet?
Old 5th Aug 2021, 7:39 pm   #25
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Excellent photograph!

I've recently destroyed & disposed of what I would call a 'modern' (1970's) HMV record player that I was going to refurbish. It felt very light when I was given it by a friend. On inspection I discovered that all that was holding the cabinet together was the outside covering of blue Rexine! Even the typical BRC internal paper valve location chart had been eaten through, where it was glued to the inside of the cabinet. I managed to salvage the electronics & record deck, together with the motor-board, - even that had some worm, but I treated that.

Perhaps I'm over sensitive to 'anobium punctatum', but I had one house that was so badly infested with woodworm, that I spent two years rebuilding it before we could move in.
Nowadays I am probably paranoid about the little creatures, - my current house was built around 1680. When I moved in some of the timbers looked as if they were held together, as someone eloquently put it, 'by woodworm holding hands!

So for me, no early Bush TV's & no '50's KB radios; both of which I've seen with perforated wooden remains masquerading as cabinets.

David.

Last edited by Vintage Engr; 5th Aug 2021 at 7:40 pm. Reason: Typo error.
Old 6th Aug 2021, 10:44 am   #26
FERNSEH
Dekatron

From Wikipedia: the common furniture beetle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_furniture_beetle

DFWB.
Old 7th Aug 2021, 6:15 pm   #27
bobhowe
Heptode

Hi David just read your link about the furniture beetle it must have come to the UK on cargo from Ships
Old 11th Aug 2021, 3:17 pm   #28
Bruce
Tetrode

Just a point re the cost of woodworm treatment mentioned in an earlier posting.

I recently had to treat part of an elderly kitchen dresser that had clearly provided many lunches for the wee beasties - well eaten out ply sheets and some pine framing. I found that the seemingly most popular wood worm treatment here in Oz was a New Zealand product sold via firms specializing in pest treatment and it really was quite expensive - particularly so if one was to treat a fairly large object. However, looking around the supermarket shelves I found my local supermarket carried a "house-brand" of residual pesticide spray that had the same chemical in the same strength as the more expensive one advertised as being specifically for wood worm, and it was only a couple of dollars a can.

This didn't come with the long thin spray needle that the more expensive product had. However, "draw needles" used in the medical profession for sucking medication into syringes are quite long, very strong, and if the spray nozzle is removed from a spray can, with only a little carving with a sharp knife, fit very neatly on the spray can outlet. Normally available over the counter at one's local chemist and at a pretty minimal cost.

bruce
Old 14th Aug 2021, 10:20 pm   #29
bobhowe
Heptode

H just seen on a Red Bull TV advert 2 Beasties making a table
Old 15th Aug 2021, 7:37 pm   #30
Maarten
Dekatron

@Bruce: which chemical do they use?
Old 5th Sep 2021, 2:24 pm   #31
whyperion
Hexode

Once you see the holes the beetle larve have gone. Once its dried out , or eaten, it's of no interest to the females to lay eggs in. Just don't store them on timber floors! Vacuum out with Hepa filter all the loose bits.
Old 5th Sep 2021, 6:10 pm   #32
The Philpott
Dekatron

Flufenoxuron is what i (historically) looked for on the label, as it actually ****** works.
As with many solvent based things that work, if it hasn't already been restricted to professional use or had the bottle size restricted/price raised, it soon will. The irony, of course, is that if wood deteriorates more quickly because of feeble wood treatments, more trees get cut down to replace it.

Dave
Closed Thread