UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2019, 7:58 pm   #1
Specmaster
Triode

Default Need to improve this cabinet

Hi, I have this Hacker Herald (FM) radio which I'm trying to restore back to health, the electronics are not a real problem to me and parts for rebuilding the electronics have been ordered and are arriving all the time and being fitted. Very soon that part will be complete and ready to be installed back in the cabinet.

What I'd like to do with the cabinet is to find a way to reduce the looseness of the leather cloth due to the thin foam padding breaking down to become dust. Has anyone any ideas on how this bagginess can be reduced without having to completely dismantle the cabinet and recovering it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	185015   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	185016  
Old 13th Jun 2019, 8:36 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Need to improve this cabinet

There is a thread on here somewhere ,dealing with the same problem , Mick.
Old 14th Jun 2019, 9:02 am   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Need to improve this cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specmaster View Post
Has anyone any ideas on how this bagginess can be reduced without having to completely dismantle the cabinet and recovering it?
None, there was originally sponge foam padding behind it, now turned to dust. The only thing you can do is what you don't want to do - very carefully remove the Rexine and re-pad it. It's not particularly difficult, just time-consuming.

A hairdryer to soften the glue (I think it was Evostik or similar), an old bank card or something non-metallic to lift the Rexine away from the wood trying to get it off in one piece. I have had to use solvent on a couple of occasions on particularly well stuck done areas. You'll also need some clamps to hold the Rexine in place while it dries.

Slowly is the key word here and use no great force or anything sharp else it will go through the Rexine. It's tough stuff but it can rip, pay particular care around the corners.

For re-padding I've used the foam off a cheap iron board cover, the filter sheet for oven extractors or there's some car headlining stuff you can get.

Andrew
Closed Thread