UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2019, 12:51 am   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Surviving early colour receivers

A room of early sets...I am sure I saw something like that on the 28dayslater urban exploration forum a few years ago. A load of tellies in a derelict house - hoarder probably.

In a few years someone will discover my workshop with a load of dusty CP110s, CUC60s, K11s and ICC3s...plus a few 11AK30s

I will soon be putting together an installation using, ideally, a few sets from circa 1969-1970. (so expect a few threads when I get to taking the backs off!) For colour, the earliest I have are 1973 K9 and a Telefunken 711 of roughly the same vintage. Those date from the very start of colour in Spain, which bypassed the dual standard era, and few valve colour sets were commercialized there. Hence, those early colour sets were more reliable and had better survival rates I expect.

Both the TFK and K9 were rescued in the last decade or so from flats of elderly relatives of colleagues / friends, which had to be cleared. So, if huge sets like that have survived in flats, of all places, then there is hope yet!

A few years ago I saw a flatbed truck piled with woodies that had clearly been taken from a business premises in a nearby back street in my area. I was tempted to run after it! I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibility for there to be similar stashes elsewhere.... I will try and find the 28days later thread (maybe it was a dream of my own diseased mind )
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 1:36 pm   #22
Richard_FM
Octode

I've seen a few pictures on urbex sites of houses where the owners were hoarders & often piled up old TVs rather than get rid of them.

Closed hotels (especially in the USA) seem to be a good source of old sets, as it seems the owners would keep a reserve of TVs so a set could be quickly be replaced if one gave trouble, & older sets in the rooms didn't matter because they were less likely to be stolen.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 1:47 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Glancing at an old copy of Television from 1977, most trade disposal adverts offered clearance deals - G6 and 2028 only - £20 each. The taste for these sets must have waned very quickly as two years earlier there were queues for dual standard sets, not working (or should that be 'untested'?) for the wrong side of £120!
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 3:38 pm   #24
AC/HL
Dekatron

I was tempted to buy some, do them up, and sell them. Trouble was I could never find a source at a decent price. The competition advertised tested and guaranteed for the same! I knew they were as dodgy as the guarantee, hence ongoing poverty!
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 4:28 pm   #25
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - remember the 'hotel sales'? Barely working (if you were lucky) TVs, nicely polished with a superb one on show. You bought it and they helpfully had it waiting while you brought your car round. Except it wasn't the same TV, of course...
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 10:18 pm   #26
TV_Madness
Pentode

The only "hoard" that I've come in contact with was at a local TV repair / rental shop. In actual fact, there were two shops where I used to live and as a kid, it was great fun looking round the back to see what might turn up.

I can remember two occasions that came up trump's. First, a Baird 710 turned up (which has since found its way to Mikey405, then recently on to Tazman1966. Have you still got it??). It was sat at the back of the shop in the pouring rain, so I duly wheeled it home in a shopping trolley!

On the second occasion, a 520 series G8 turned up (the one with the black Rexine around the CRT. G22K523??). Believe it or not, this was in the mid 1990s. I can remember it very well with its six push buttons. I used to ask my dad on the way back from school if we could "have a look round the back" and there it was. Sadly, I was too young to realise that it might have been worth saving.

The only set that I still have that I saved from that place is a little Philips Tvette.

Last edited by TV_Madness; 23rd Jul 2019 at 10:24 pm.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 10:27 pm   #27
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
For colour, the earliest I have are 1973 K9 and a Telefunken 711 of roughly the same vintage.
I suspect the K9 works, but do you have a picture on the 711? The tubes on these must have been the fastest to expire, at last the 26" models.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 11:27 pm   #28
Richard_FM
Octode

The Radio Rentals rate card from September 1973 shows that dual standards were cheap to rent by this time, but I wonder how much work they needed to keep going.

I guess they had paid off their initial purchase price by then, & any more revenue was a bonus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr11.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	187240  
Old 24th Jul 2019, 9:09 am   #29
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV_Madness View Post
...I can remember two occasions that came up trump's. First, a Baird 710 turned up (which has since found its way to Mikey405, then recently on to Tazman1966. Have you still got it??). It was sat at the back of the shop in the pouring rain, so I duly wheeled it home in a shopping trolley!The only set that I still have that I saved from that place is a little Philips Tvette...
I after getting the line timebase up and running, and after a fruitless tussle with the frame timebase, I passed it on to Graham Davies (parabola on the forum). He still has it in his "to do" pile.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 12:43 pm   #30
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The Baird 701 must have looked VERY dated by then next to the 3500s they were supplying! Having to turn a wheel to change channel... I'm sure the engineers cursed head office, especially as renters keen on the Top Saver models may well have lived in high-rise flats.
Incidentally, what's the M after the 701 and so on? Are they single-standard versions?
Old 24th Jul 2019, 4:51 pm   #31
TV_Madness
Pentode

As far as I know, all of the 700 / 710 series were prefixed "M" for some reason. They were given additional suffixes such as "W" (e.g. M702W) for different cabinet styles I think.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 5:56 pm   #32
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

This is the suffix M in the list above. Odd, as you could rent an M701 for less than an M701M! Wonder if they were modified for single standard and/or push buttons?
Old 25th Jul 2019, 9:27 am   #33
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Aside from our collections, I expect the most common survivor of the early colour era is the Sony KV1300 series. Despite their cost, they sold well and were the second set of choice for the better-off, and consequently could have had very little use. Not the ones I've got, however.
Just realised the title of this thread could be taken two ways! I must admit early colour receivers certainly led many TV men of the valve era to hang up their soldering irons for good...
Old 25th Jul 2019, 1:12 pm   #34
Richard_FM
Octode

There's normally 2-3 on sale on eBay at any one time.
Old 25th Jul 2019, 1:15 pm   #35
TV_Madness
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
This is the suffix M in the list above. Odd, as you could rent an M701 for less than an M701M! Wonder if they were modified for single standard and/or push buttons?
Would help if I actually read things properly

Interesting. From the model number and the description, it certainly looks like a single standard 700 series. I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Perhaps a record of those earliest 1st gen colour sets in people's collections that are still in existence might be a nice idea (makes, models and serial numbers etc.).

Matt
Old 25th Jul 2019, 2:05 pm   #36
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Aside from our collections, I expect the most common survivor of the early colour era is the Sony KV1300 series. Despite their cost, they sold well and were the second set of choice for the better-off, and consequently could have had very little use.
At just under £200 the original version was the cheapest decent colour TV you could buy, only nonsense like the Teleton was cheaper (and then only by a few pounds), even a BRC 8000 cost more.

I've had a few from people who had them as their only set, despite being able to afford something much bigger. The Sony was fashionable and was known to the the most reliable colour set available at the time, as well as being the one with the brightest and sharpest picture. 'The bigger the set, the smaller the house' was as true then as it is now!
Old 25th Jul 2019, 4:23 pm   #37
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Quote:
Aside from our collections, I expect the most common survivor of the early colour era is the Sony KV1300 series. Despite their cost, they sold well and were the second set of choice for the better-off, and consequently could have had very little use.
At just under £200 the original version was the cheapest decent colour TV you could buy, only nonsense like the Teleton was cheaper (and then only by a few pounds), even a BRC 8000 cost more.
IIRC, the original 17" Thorn 8000 set sold for £170 (retail) or thereabouts.
Old 25th Jul 2019, 4:33 pm   #38
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I suppose inch for inch the Ferguson was cheaper, but I know which I'd have preferred at the time!
Old 25th Jul 2019, 4:57 pm   #39
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
IIRC, the original 17" Thorn 8000 set sold for £170 (retail) or thereabouts.
A bit more than that was launch, just under £200 and a few pounds more than the Sony. £198 springs to mind, I think the Sony was £196
Old 25th Jul 2019, 5:15 pm   #40
ITAM805
Nonode

We bought our old Mum an Hitachi C190 in 1973, it was still going 15 years ago when I gave it to a mate. He passed away in 2010 and I understand the set was junked
Closed Thread