UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2019, 6:48 pm   #1
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Fish Paper source?

Does anyone know of a UK source for fish paper in small quantities? I have searched the web and found a few US sources, and some UK sources for fairly large (expensive) quantities: I am only looking for a few square inches immediately, though it can be useful so don't mind buying a slightly larger amount.

Thanks
Mike
Old 21st Jul 2019, 9:39 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Fish Paper source?

In 1890, Ferranti seens to have used ordinary brown paper, impregnated with a type of paraffin wax, as the insulation for the concentric distribution mains from his 10kV Deptford power station. The paper was wound in layers to a thickness of 1/2".
Old 21st Jul 2019, 10:33 pm   #3
kevinaston1
Hexode

American amplifier manufacturers are fond of using fish paper to insulate between the PCB and the cabinet. If anyone locally repairs large PA amplifiers, they may have some.

If no luck, PM me and I will give you the address of my old company. When I left around five years ago, there were six 20 x 36 in sheets in the spares stock - but the new modern management team may well have thrown it out.

Kevin
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 6:05 am   #4
Goldie99
Heptode

I may have some (used between PCB and chassis) in an old amp I'm stripping for parts - pm me if you want me to check for size etc.
Closed Thread