UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2006, 8:36 pm   #1
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Pye StudioCOLOUR unusual screen phosphor pattern?

Well, my parents caved and bought a new flat CRT bush thing when I was away on holiday (I keep trying not to admit to myself that it actually gives a really brilliant picture...)...the plus side of this being that I've had a chance to give the little Pye a good look over now.

One thing I noticed almost immediately, is that there's something really odd about the screen...all the other colour CRTs I've seen have simple phosphor stripes running down the screen vertically (if not triads used on the old delta gun tubes, though I've not seen one of them in years). The little Pye however seems to have what I can only describe as "cells" shown in the phosphor, with vertical borders between areas of the screen as well as the obvious horizontal lines between the different coloured phosphors. Something I've never seen before.

Granted, I've not peered at the makeup of the screen of that many CRTs, but neither the random Grundig, Mitsubishi CT2023B or the new Bush thing have a similar design to this. For comparison purposes, the third image below is of the screen of the Mitsubishi CT2023B.

Is this a particularly unusual design? If so, what was the intention of it from an operational point of view?

Just curious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	7216   Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	7217   Click image for larger version

Name:	mitsubishiscreen.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	7218  

Last edited by Zelandeth; 12th Dec 2006 at 8:39 pm. Reason: Added an extra image.
Old 13th Dec 2006, 10:02 pm   #2
matthewhouse
Octode

Default Re: Pye StudioCOLOUR unusual screen phosphor pattern?

Hi, one of the TVs home here use the 'cells' pattern, altho its there is not quite so much of the black bits round them, the rest, have stripes like in the third picture. I'd take a photo but it went wrong recently, and is currently in the 'to do' pile.

Matty
Old 13th Dec 2006, 10:59 pm   #3
Zelandeth
Heptode

Something else I've just noted is that the screen on this set is far lighter in colour when it's switched off than that of any other set in the house, could this "Cell" configuration be commonly used with a slightly different phosphor blend or something along those lines?
Old 13th Dec 2006, 11:23 pm   #4
matthewhouse
Octode

Possibly, but if you set several CRT TVs of the same model together you will always see a difference in the shades of screen colour, I read why this was somewhere but can't remember what it was . Besides all tubes are unique, like why you can't just unplug an old one and fit a new one without some adjustment.

Matty
Old 14th Dec 2006, 6:24 pm   #5
daro
Retired Dormant Member

The TV was a Philips KT2 chassis & they had Panasonic Quintrix CRTs fitted.

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 4th Jun 2007 at 4:19 pm. Reason: Typos and caps
Closed Thread