UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2020, 9:08 pm   #1
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Default 1953 SABA Lindau W III

Hello,
I've just had this old SABA on the bench. It was still operable on FM though it suffered from not very clear reception and not enough volume. Well, changing a lot of caps and some electrolytics did not resolve the problem sufficiently. A NOS EL 41 valve delivered more volume, but then I noticed the HT being much too low. Around 190 V instead of 265 V before the first C. After some time of operation the mains transformer turned hot (too hot to touch) and the rectifier, too.
To make a long story short: Replcing the transformer did not help. Same with the rectifier and the first C (50u + 50u @ 385 V). I was wondering "What else, the heck ..." as no other component seemed to suffer from too much current. In the end I checked the resistor of 170 Ohms which generates the negative bias for the EL 41 grid, and heureka, it was going close to 100 Ohms only. Replacing the resistor turned the bias back to -11 V and drove the HT into normal range. Overheating is gone , reception and volume are ok now.
Regards, Joe

Last edited by Joe_Lorenz; 2nd Aug 2020 at 9:09 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 9:26 am   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: 1953 SABA Lindau W III

Morning Joe.
Pleased you have sorted it out a lot of my radios are made by Saba. If you look at my thread in radio repair you will see one of my Saba Meesburges 7 auto i am working on, it was made in 1956 and with the 4 green cone speakers it has the sound from the radio is outstanding.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Hoyland; 3rd Aug 2020 at 9:34 am.
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 9:41 pm   #3
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Default Re: 1953 SABA Lindau W III

Hello Kevin,

I am glad that you like these old SABAs. In particular the "automatic" models take a lot of passion to fix. I think I have got a Freiburg 7 and a Freiburg 14 in decent condition.
The most exotic version was made in Eastern Germany (a kind of copy ...) from RFT Rochlitz called Stradivari 4 automatic stereo. Rather similar speaking of the schematic but made from east european components.
Yes, the sound is great and astonishing but my all-time favourite is the Philips Saturn transformerless 4 valve 800 Ohms speaker set configuartion.

Regards, Joe
Closed Thread