UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2020, 8:02 pm   #1
RobustReviews
Pentode

Default Philips VR2023 - Video 2000 DOA

Hello all,

In my collection of odd video machines this afternoon I picked up a faulty but otherwise very clean VR2032 with a box of cassettes from a very friendly gent.

Won't get a chance to open it until tomorrow but here goes.

Loud tick from the machine, no transport operation but a very loud tick that lasts for around 3 seconds any time a transport function is pressed. No tape spooling, without a cassette the left hand spindle rotates about 5rpm anti clockwise whether rewinding for fast forwarding.

I had this years ago I remember with a Betamax machine and it was stuck pendulum assembly, do V2K machines have anything like this? I can't find any reference to belts for these machines, do they not have them?

Any pointers, as ever, gratefully received!

RR
Old 25th Jul 2020, 8:23 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Philips VR2032 - Video 2000 DOA

Are you sure it's not a VR2022? I might be wrong but I don't think there was a VR2032. The VR2022 has no belts although the tape threading mechanism is cord driven.

Alan
Old 25th Jul 2020, 9:24 pm   #3
RobustReviews
Pentode

You if course are entirely right, my typo!

It's a 2023 which allegedly is a facelifted 2022?

Cheers,
RR
Old 25th Jul 2020, 11:30 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

I think the differences between the VR2022 and the VR2023 are largely cosmetic. I don't know whether or not it'll help much but I made reference to a Dutch version of the VR2020/02 service manual in this post from an earlier thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...37&postcount=5

Might give some clues even though it relates to an earlier model.

Alan
Old 26th Jul 2020, 12:09 am   #5
RobustReviews
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
I think the differences between the VR2022 and the VR2023 are largely cosmetic. I don't know whether or not it'll help much but I made reference to a Dutch version of the VR2020/02 service manual in this post from an earlier thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...37&postcount=5

Might give some clues even though it relates to an earlier model.

Alan
Thanks for that Alan, I do speak Dutch to a fundamental level (I don't read it very well though) but it's quite an easy language to transliterate for English speakers if you know the fundamentals and can sound the words.

I'll have a look in the morning.

Cheers,
RR
Old 26th Jul 2020, 12:12 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Philips VR2023 - Video 2000 DOA

Please bear in mind that it's many years since I messed with these machines. However, if memory serves there are five servo controlled motors:

M1 - Wind Forward

M2 - Wind Reverse

M3 - Head Drum

M4 - Capstan

M5 - Threading Mechanism

It sounds like there might be a problem associated with M5 which could be mechanical or electronic. Worth also noting that there are several microswitches for sensing tape position and plug-in connectors all over the place. After a long period without use dirty contacts (switch or connectors) are often the cause of issues. This can sometimes affect the push buttons themselves. Also if the machine thinks it's detected a fault when loading it automatically returns to stand-by mode.

In summary I'd start with a comprehensive switch/contact/plug/socket cleaning and waggling exercise before going further. At least the deck and the front control panel are easy to access once the top cover is removed. It's a great advantage having some command of Dutch although the illustrations in the manual are helpful to a non-linguist like me. I do have a more comprehensive paper copy of the English service manual but have absolutely no idea where it is. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Alan
Old 26th Jul 2020, 12:38 pm   #7
RobustReviews
Pentode

Cheers Alan.

It's the brake solenoid that's chattering when a transport control is pressed, the front panel controls work as expected. It chatters constantly in 'play' but the tape makes no effort to these.

I'm hoping it's a switch too!
Old 26th Jul 2020, 10:54 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

The VR2020-VR2024 series are all evolutions based on the same design but modules may or may not be interchangeable depending on model and revision. The VR2020 underwent roughly 65 revisions during its production run, with the last models being almost identical to the VR2021. This probably also applies to VR2021-VR2022 and VR2022S-VR2023/24 but there could be some unexpected differences especially since there were less revisions once the design matured so the difference between models might be larger (I think there's a larger difference between VR2022 and VR2022S than between VR2022S and VR2023/24 - with the VR2024 just being a stereo sound version of the VR2023).

After that, they switched to a more modern compact design for the second generation, which was introduced in late 1982 with the VR2220 portable while the normal machines were still of the old design for some months. The VR23xx and VR28xx models are descendants of the VR2220. The VR24xx models were German designed generation 2.5 or 3 cost down sets, and after that there was only VHS (production from late 1984 on).

P.S. for my research on production period and number of sets produced, I'd be interested in a picture of the type label, or the full model and serial number.

Last edited by Maarten; 26th Jul 2020 at 11:04 pm.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 5:27 pm   #9
Snarf81
Heptode

Replace the back up battery and re solder the regulators on the power board. This cured a similar fault on my own VR2023. Also, remove the Rifa capacitor in the power lead connector enclosure, they do go bang with lots of horrible smoke!! You might want to leave the vcr plugged into the mains for a good few hours after changing the back up battery.
Old 27th Jul 2020, 5:28 pm   #10
Snarf81
Heptode

https://gromsound.mfbfreaks.com/app/vcctips2.htm
Old 27th Jul 2020, 8:00 pm   #11
RobustReviews
Pentode

Thanks all.

My RIFA was preblown for my convenience it turns out having just inspected it.

Serious mess under that cover.

Found the 4A fuse on the power supply board blown, replaced and instantly blew again so at least that aids a bit in diagnosis.

Back to the drawing board!
Closed Thread