UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2020, 8:44 pm   #1
Records
Hexode

Default Academy portable black and white TV.

This was my first tv, it had the rotary tuning control and a push pull and turn knob for volume and on and off, it was obviously a cheap make but it was my first tv, does anybody here remember the brand?
Old 17th Jul 2020, 9:12 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Academy portable black and white tv

I don’t remember the brand but there were many similar imported sets in the 70’s, possibly with similar chassis.
They may have been less expensive but most worked extremely well and were reliable from what I remember.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 9:12 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Academy portable black and white tv

I've heard of them, I have an old 90's clock radio made by them! I remember the local cheap shop where I used to live (Shop was called 'it's a gift' in Daventry) used to stock stuff made by them, mostly sub £10 clock radio's, never saw any TV's there though.

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 18th Jul 2020, 10:12 am   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Academy portable black and white TV.

I also remember the name 'Academy' mainly for cheap multiband portable radios. Radiomuseum lists a number of models, including a mini black and white TV/radio combi.

I'm not sure if they were an original equipment manufacturer (OEM). I suspect Academy was just an importer or distributor of - and one of many names applied to - generic products from Hong Kong or China. For example, the Academy compass radio appears to be the same as the Binatone Worldstar apart from cosmetic differences. I've also seen this radio badged ELFtone and Shira - both those companies were importers based in London in the 1970s.

There's an American retailer called Academy - they sell sporting and outdoor goods, including radios, but I don't know if there's any connection.

Your 12" black and white portable TV with rotary tuner would have been made in the Far East, badged 'Academy' and imported. These sets flooded in due to their low price. British and European manufacturers struggled to compete with these on price, so they concentrated on making more expensive and profitable colour TVs. As Nuvistor says, there was nothing wrong with the cheap imported black and white portables. They worked well enough - indeed I have a couple of them from the early 1980s which still work and have never needed any repair. You can still find working ones for sale on ebay and occasionally in car boot sales too, though of course you'll now need a digital box with UHF modulator to watch TV programmes on them.
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 5:47 pm   #5
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Academy portable black and white TV.

ACADEMY is a famous name in spring-driven console gramophones, and home-movie gear.
Closed Thread