UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2016, 12:14 am   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default PCB cleaning

I've got a bit of PCB, and I intend to iron on a laser writer print. But recently I've cleaned fingerprints off this PCB, with car polish stuff, but surface looks a bit greasy, even after a wash with Meths. Any suggestions ?
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 1:36 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: PCB cleaning

Car polish stuff is likely to contain some wax or silicone polish - even if it has a abrasive in it for paint 'restoration'

The original 'Belco' rubbing compound was polish-free so that the abraded surface was free of anything which would interfere with subsequent paint spraying. Brasso followed by detergent is what I've deoxidised and degreased raw PCB material with in the past.

David
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 2:19 am   #3
joebog1
Banned

I use a green scotchbrite pot scrubber and a powder type bath cleaner like Ajax or Gumption, should those products be available in UK

Joe
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 6:59 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Jif or should I say Cif and as Joe says a pan scrubber does the job and leaves it smelling nice too : ) We used to have Ajax Joe but they keep mucking about with the names, Toothpaste works too.

Andy.
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 7:45 am   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

IME, Brasso also leaves a greasy residue.
I used it to polish a brass item prior to lacqering, and the lacquer wouldn't 'take' at all, but formed isolated pools on the surface. It took some thorough degreasing to resolve.
Cellulose thinners are pretty good for this sort of job.
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 8:18 am   #6
jonmiller
Pentode

I use these

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-cl...locks/2162706/
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 12:14 pm   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Its supposed to be a "No No", but I still occasionally use CTC. In a well ventilated space, I'll hasten to add. Brings back evocative memories of the 60's.

Regards, David
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 1:04 pm   #8
Scimitar
Heptode

Automotive panel wipe is designed specifically to remove silicones and waxes before painting. There are various types, an alcohol fast, a spirit slow and a water based slow. I use the spirit slow mostly.
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 1:24 pm   #9
RF Burn
Hexode

Common kitchen items like washing powder, jif/cif liquid cleaners, coca-cola... but avoid things like brillo pads or polishes which leave a waxy coating.

A quick soak in a tub of warm washing powder solution is my first port-of-call for cleaning metal surfaces and small parts, followed by a light brush down with an old toothbrush.
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 2:41 pm   #10
bikerhifinut
Octode

In Common with Joe bog etc, I just use a non-impregnated pan scourer and a rinse in clean water. And air dry. So far I havent had any problems.
However I have only made PCB's in the traditional "Paint the resist on manually" way and I wonder if the small scratches left behind after using scourers and abrasive cleaners like Cif and "Hob brite" might affect the use of photo etch resists etc?
A.
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 6:45 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I use industrial-grade wire-wool (as traditionally used by plumbers to clean copper pipes before soldering...) and then wash down with IPA to remove grease/fingerprints. A quick blast with a hairdryer to make sure all the IPA is evaporated, and bob's yeruncle as they say.
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 10:52 pm   #12
Oldcodger
Nonode

Been a long time( 20 years ) since I did any PCB work, and then I used a bit of wet & dry ,followed by a wash with a crème cleaner mixed with washing up liquid, to get the surface to hold as much of a pool of water as possible. looks like it's back to the old ways, then. i've got a double sided wet & dry sponge block . I was trying to find a method that veered away from any abrasive method, as I'm going to try ( fro the first time) the iron on using a laser printer method, and worry about ink not getting into any scratches.
Old 4th Feb 2016, 12:43 am   #13
joebog1
Banned

The "Cif, Ajax, Toothpaste etc etc is only very mildly abrasive.
Sanding blocks are just so!! for sanding large amounts of material.
Even 1000 grit is far too harsh for a decent PCB image.

G6Tanuki should be aware that if the tinyiest particle of steel wool is left behind, and you use Ferric Chloride as the etchant, there will be a large hole eaten into the copper.
I know!! I used to use steel wool myself!

Sorry Oldcodger,
G6Tanuki
Old 4th Feb 2016, 10:09 pm   #14
Oldcodger
Nonode

Wet & dry ,with a creme cleaner ,mixed with washing up liquid was what I used when I last did PCB ,with transfers and a pen or a permanent marker, and had few problems. But I've got the board nice and clean and shiny now, so I'm tempted to use a crème cleaner + washing up liquid to get rid of the stuff the car polish left behind ,as I'm going to try the iron method.
Old 4th Feb 2016, 11:30 pm   #15
joebog1
Banned

In answer to biker, I use spray on positive resist, and my method of cleaning works perfectly. I use the sun as my UV point source, for exposure through the track design which is printed by inkjet ( laser is better) onto overhead projection clear sheets.

Joe
Old 25th Feb 2016, 11:19 pm   #16
Oldcodger
Nonode

Thanks, Joe- I've never had any success from the UV method (both in UK with a light box and abroad with strong UV). Problem is that I've always used transfers and pen or pen, and had no problems. But now I'm looking at dedicated PC program (Express PCB) allied to my old laser printer (or failing that print from my inkjet in high quality and use one of the small shops with laser copying facilities).
Next problem (and I've added to my original topic, hoping mods will think, like me, it's more appropriate and less messy than having several posts on a similar topic), is ---has anyone found the best temperature on the iron for optimum ink transfer.
Old 25th Feb 2016, 11:28 pm   #17
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Dishwasher!
Old 26th Feb 2016, 12:27 am   #18
FRANK.C
Heptode

I have had varying success with the iron but never perfect. The last PCB that I made I used a laminator instead of a iron and ran it through about 5 times, it came out perfect. I have not tried it again yet so that one time may be a fluke.

Frank
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:33 pm   #19
wireless_john
Heptode

I clean mine with cif/jif. Hadn't thought of the dishwasher though.
Old 27th Feb 2016, 12:25 am   #20
Oldcodger
Nonode

My dishwasher will be the one who wields the iron (and also has an excellent rolling pin arm ), so I think in the interests of domestic harmony, I'll clean the PCB myself.
Reason I asked about temperature is that there's a note from a previous owner not to put Melamine in Laser printer, but any printed sheet never feels that warm.

However, the laminator idea might be worth looking at for those who use light boxes. Print PCB layout to paper using a laser printer. Then pass paper and laminator sheet through laminator where laser toner should be transferred (in theory) to clear sheet, ready for lightbox.
Closed Thread