UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2012, 9:58 pm   #1
radiolot
Tetrode

Default Bonhams sale on 3rd May - four pre-war TVs

Hi folks,

Just finishing with the last descriptions of the science section to this sale, and after the deadline has now passed, I thought I'd give a heads up on the four sets, prior to the catalogue going online around the middle of next week.

The Marconi 703 Mastergram (unsold from Nov - revised estimate)
HMV 904
HMV 900
and the best of all - a Baird T5 which is totally untouched (thank God)

Photo studio nearly finished, so should be up and on line around Thursday next week. Any questions, give me a call on the work mobile 07967 552 608

Viewing starts Sunday 29th April from 11am to 3pm. That Sunday view is very popular as it is easy to get into Knigthsbridge and yes, you can park right outside if you arrive before 10.30. An AVO 7, a screwdriver and a handshake awaits you - you are very welcome (as with all lots in my sales) to take a really close and thorough look at it all, inside, testing etc. Part of the fun we all enjoy I guess!

As soon as the link is available, I'll it post here.

see you soon
Laurence
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 8:06 pm   #2
radiolot
Tetrode

Default Re: Bonhams sale on 3rd May - four pre-war TVs

The online version of the catalogue is now live. Here is the link, with the four tvs, 60's OB camera outfit and an interesting early 20s radio being the first 7 lots.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19798/

Hope you like - viewing starts on 29th April on the first floor of Bonhams, Knightsbridge branch.

speak to you soon
Laurence
Old 4th Apr 2012, 11:35 pm   #3
Steve_McVoy
Pentode

Default Prewar sets at Bonhams

Anyone know anything about the Baird T-5, HMV 900 and 904 and Marconiphone 703 they have?
Old 5th Apr 2012, 8:38 am   #4
radiolot
Tetrode

Hi Steve - if you click on the link to the Bonhams site, you will see detailed pictures inside and out of each set. TVs are lots 1 through to 4.

Laurence
Old 6th Apr 2012, 6:26 pm   #5
radiolot
Tetrode

Have just secured a Murphy V136 television - which will be in the 14th November sale.
Have yet to see how good/bad it is. But the pictures of it look very good. Let's hope Hunts Ltd haven't been anywhere near it.

Laurence
Old 3rd May 2012, 2:44 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Sit down before you read the price for the Baird T5.

£27500.

The others went for what pass for "normal" prices though the new owner of the 904 will have a fun job finding a CRT.
Old 3rd May 2012, 3:02 pm   #7
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Good grief!
Old 4th May 2012, 7:58 am   #8
jb332
Triode

I have exactly the same model. Despite me saying I'd never sell it I might be tempted to part with it for that sort of money!
Old 4th May 2012, 8:44 am   #9
Panrock
Nonode

One of these (No. 254) was languishing in the cellar at BBC Wood Norton in the '80s, and was the first pre-war set I ever encountered or worked on. I discovered it one lunch hour - it had lain untouched and forgotten for decades. I opened the back and breathed in a most wonderful 'antique pre-war' aroma.

The 'onion' shaped tube had an o/c heater and I took my life in my hands when I later extracted it, pulling it up through a very tight neck collar.

The value must be due to the rarity. To my mind, it was nothing like as attractively designed or finished as the EMI products.

Steve
Old 4th May 2012, 10:36 am   #10
radiolot
Tetrode

A pleasing result!

I'm afraid lots 1-3 are due shortly to leave the UK shores to head west, however the 904 has found a very nice new home in the UK where it will be worked on and yes, they do have access to a correct replacement CRT - the smile confirmed this!

Anyone fancy parting with or finding me another group of mirror-lid tellies? I am starting to build up the November sale, so all contributions very welcome.

mnay thanks to those who came to viewing and sale - nice to see you.

cheers
Laurence
Old 7th May 2012, 12:56 pm   #11
line sync
Heptode

Did anyone notice that the Baird T5 was the same set that sold at Denhams auction house last year for £9,400.
This baird T5 was coverd by PJL here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=75376&

If you study the pictures you,ll see the same rip in the speaker cloth, the same scratched paint on the mains transformer and both sets have the same serial number of 371.
By close examination of the Bonham's pictures, the little door that was missing has been either found and refitted or made.
It's not very often these sets come on the market and to have two come along in 7 months just made me think.

Last edited by Station X; 7th May 2012 at 1:13 pm. Reason: Link added.
Old 7th May 2012, 7:49 pm   #12
radiolot
Tetrode

I couldn't possibly comment but suffice to say the door was safe with the house and kept with the set once it was cleared and after some careful sourcing of matching period brass screws, this was back on in a jiffy.
The buyer knew this was special and by jove it was.

Interesting to see how things of this level fare in a room with more international activity, better catalogue pictures and some advertising.

This hush-hush underlines my commitment of client confidenciality,the focus was on the set, and bless the auction house who handled it then, although they tried their best, when I too viewed it there briefly I thought their estimate was a tad on the low side.

Now comes the hard bit of finding another.
Closed Thread