UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2020, 4:21 pm   #21
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dipole antenna construction

Just to let you know I installed the new 450 ohm balanced feeder, about 16 feet, and connected it to the RG8X coax then straight into the back of the ATU using a PL259 plug and socket. The joint from the feeder to the coax was made with a Bakelite chock block and housed in an upside down Colmans mustard jar with holes cut for the wires to pass through the lid.
I did not use the balanced output of the MFJ 949E ATU.
With the ATU switched to bypass the aerial now has a SWR of about 1:1.5 on 20m and on 40m it is about 1:2.5.
I can use the ATU to get a low SWR on all bands except 160m.

I passed my Foundation exam on Thursday, so looking forward to getting my call sign.

Mike
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 5:50 pm   #22
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Well done on the callsign.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 5:59 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
I passed my Foundation exam on Thursday, so looking forward to getting my call sign.
Mike
Congratulations, and welcome. The foundation licence is rather basic and very restricted. While you've got momentum, now is the easiest time to continue further.

If I can help, just ask.

David GM4ZNX
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 6:12 pm   #24
crackle
Rest in Peace

Yes, I am studying the intermediate book now, and have put in for my course at the end of April.

Any one want to buy some more KB radios.

Mike
Closed Thread