UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2014, 9:39 am   #1
Doug_h
Triode

Default Where do I get boxes for shipping items ?

I have a number of vintage sets for sale but I will need suitable boxes (presumably reinforced cardboard) to pack these in if sending them by courier. Ideally they'd each be the same shape but slightly larger than the actual set to allow for protective packaging - but we don't have an ideal world here. Just where do I get such things or indeed anything that I could use ? In the past, local supermarkets always seemed to have a selection of boxes by the checkouts for those of us who forgot our shopping bags but not any more ('elfin safety, sir).

Can you actually BUY empty boxes from anywhere ? (If buying online how would the seller pack them ?? Think : Babushka Dolls)

(I hope this post doesn't make me a contender for This Years Most Stupid Question ...)
Old 8th May 2014, 9:54 am   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Where do I get boxes for shipping items ?

The best way of packing a vintage radio is to double box them.
I use a box with at least 50mm clearance all round and fill the gap with foam, then put in to a larger box stuffed with scrunched up newspaper to fill the gap.
Use plenty of parcel tape to secure all the corners.

I have had radios sent to me that have been severely damaged due to flimsy boxes with no proper padding, better to go overboard with the packing and use sturdy boxes.

Mark
Old 8th May 2014, 9:55 am   #3
Station X

Personally I recycle boxes which I've received stuff in.

You can buy boxes from The Post Office or office suppliers such as Ryman and Staples. They come as flat packs.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th May 2014, 9:59 am   #4
paulsherwin

Morrisons supermarkets usually have a lot of very strong fruit and salad boxes for the taking. It doesn't matter if they are too big because the space can be taken up with bubblewrap and polystyrene. Although the boxes are free, you will need lots of packing tape and ideally hot melt glue to make a really strong container.

Use a *lot* of bubblewrap. This can sometimes be scavenged.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:00 am   #5
sp10mk11
Octode

I used to get most of my boxes from our local re-cycling centre, I just asked and they said as long as you don't get in the skip and you can get them safely you can.

As regards packing yes plenty of packing two boxes are better boxes are auto sorted on belts and are dropped into bins so bear in mind they get a lot of mechanical abuse before the driver gets hold of them, I always sent hifi type items parcelforce 24 hour delivery as I think the less time they spend in the hands of the courier the better

Gary
Old 8th May 2014, 10:07 am   #6
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I occasionally need to transport vintage amps around, some of which are worth many hundreds of pounds (or more). For those I use these boxes http://www.davpack.co.uk/cardboard-b...oard-boxes.htm which appear to be just about indestructible. When taped shut the smaller ones will certainly take my weight standing on them, and I'm not small ! They are, of course, not cheap. As always in this world, quality costs money I'm afraid.

If you're planning to use a courier it's well worth reading the fine print about insurance, particularly if you decide to use one of the factoring companies (the folks who can get your box into the hands of a major courier for a lot less than the courier seems to charge direct). Because your contract is with the factoring company it's their insurance rules, not the courier's, which apply. Some of them exclude a very, very wide range of items from the list that they will cover. And if they have packaging guidelines then it's important to comply with those too (one of them requires double-boxing for all electronic items for example). Otherwise the insurance simply won't pay out in the event of a claim.

Cheers,

GJ

Last edited by GrimJosef; 8th May 2014 at 10:13 am.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:10 am   #7
threeseven
Octode

Another source of new boxes is self storage facilities. Almost every town in the UK has at least one and most of them sell packing materials.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:13 am   #8
paulsherwin

Default Where do I get boxes for shipping items?

Depending on the value and size of the item it may be worth buying a cheap hard suitcase. Charity shops sometimes have them for a couple of pounds and they can be less than £20 new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
Another source of new boxes is self storage facilities. Almost every town in the UK has at least one and most of them sell packing materials.
They are also a good place to scrounge used bubblewrap. They have vast amounts of the stuff and have to pay to have it recycled.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:24 am   #9
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Another source of boxes are those weekly street markets if you have any in your area. My local town market generates a mountain of boxes, all shapes and sizes, free for the taking which all get destroyed/recycled at the end of the day.

Regards, Mick.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:31 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

In some areas boxes are left outside or behind shops at the end of the trading day for collection by the council refuse/recycling team. Here in Bournemouth there are often loads for the taking between about 6pm and 7:30pm (though the amount and type varies day to day, and often more towards the end of the week).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th May 2014, 10:40 am   #11
cmjones01
Nonode

I've found that some of the strongest boxes are banana boxes, which are double layer corrugated cardboard. I've used them for shipping equipment in the past with success. They can have holes which need filling in, but that's not usually a problem. They are available from supermarkets, but at my local supermarket the demand for them was such that it was important to arrive at the right time and ask the person stacking the banana shelves for them!

I've always used bubble wrap as padding, which is very cheap if bought in large quantities but very expensive if bought in small quantities. You may be able to find a local packaging supplier who will deliver for little or no cost, which is how I got mine.

I've used this formula for shipping all sorts of things from hi-fi components, to computers, to test equipment, much of which has been heavy as well as valuable, and haven't had any bad experiences yet.

Chris
Old 8th May 2014, 11:04 am   #12
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I like others save all the boxes, bubble wrap and padded envelopes I receive, and then re use. It can be a bit of a pain storing them though. I use these for everyday items that aren't worth a great deal.

For big heavy items or delicate equipment, I make my own boxes to fit by getting boxes from TV white goods shops which are a good source of big boxes and packing material. Ask permission, usually theyre happy for folks to take stuff; technically it's theft. I then cut to size with a knife and usa a lot of gaffa tape.

I wrap the "amp" first, taking care to protect corners, knobs or anything that might get broken, then cover in a cardboard jacket, then put in a box.

It depends on what courier you use too; I swear by UPS. Other couriers have not such a good reputation. Some couriers will box the item for you.

As others have said, proper boxes cost money. I think it depends on what the item is worth.

Andy.
Old 8th May 2014, 11:13 am   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

See if there's a "Mail Boxes Etc" in your area: they do a whole range of boxes and protective packaging, and can often help out with the shipping (and the customs clearance if the consignment is going overseas).

Car boot sales are also a good place to pick up old 'hard shell' suitcases at ridiculously-low prices. Knock the price down by muttering that "it's probably too big to be seen as hand-luggage by Easyjet".

Remember - when it only costs you £2 you don't need to worry about the sender returning it.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:52 pm   #14
paulsherwin

If you use a pub on a regular basis, ask them to save some of the boxes that glasswashing liquid is delivered in. Each box holds 2 5L plastic containers. They are a useful size and shape and are surprisingly strong, being made of double walled cardboard, and you just need to reinforce the joints with tape. A busy pub will get through several of these each week.
Old 8th May 2014, 1:28 pm   #15
Kala_12
Hexode

The trays of fruit in supermarkets often have a sheet of bubble wrap in between layers of fruit. I collect these whenever I see any and didn't need any extra packing the last two times I moved.
Stuart.
Old 8th May 2014, 6:54 pm   #16
woodchips
Octode

A good range of boxes can be had from CPC, but stick with the DW, double wall, types.

In my experience, must be hundreds of parcels now, it is usually better to go for a new box on the outside, reused ones are ok for double boxing. You will be amazed at how much bubble wrap you need. I buy the 1.5m wide rolls cut in half, thing it is 50m long, and packing a scope or similar will use 1/3 of the half roll, at a cost of about £5, box cost about the same, so now at £12 with the VAT on the materials.

If you double box then almost anything can be used as padding between the boxes, and weight is very often not a problem because the same price delivery goes up to 25kg. Old fruit and veg boxes from the supermarket make good filler material.

If you use documents enclosed self adhesive pouches then always put some clear 50mm parcel tape across them, I have had them rolled up by just sliding one box over another.

Don't put parcel tape over the barcodes, the reflection can stop them being read.
Old 8th May 2014, 10:39 pm   #17
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_h View Post
Can you actually BUY empty boxes from anywhere ? (If buying online how would the seller pack them ?? Think : Babushka Dolls)
You can buy empty boxes on Ebay and from packaging companies. Second-hand (used once) boxes are widely available. I got 30 big ones for moving house for about £30. I think mine were used for shipping empty plastic bottles or bottle-tops to a food production plant, so were totally clean inside and out, just had the original packaging manufacturer's logo on.

They're shipped folded flat tied together in a bundle. Just pull into shape and fix the flaps top and bottom with tape.

For smaller items, independent off-licenses may be a good source of boxes used for spirits, which are pretty strong.

I also bought bubble-wrap and parcel tape reinforced with non-tear filaments from ebay.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:00 am   #18
paulsherwin

Spirit boxes hold 6 bottles of things like whisky or vodka and are indeed quite strong, though they're a bit small for most jobs. Your friendly local landlord will be able to give you dozens (see #14). Don't bother with pub wine boxes as they're much weaker for some reason. Domestic wine boxes (the sort with a 3L plastic bag inside) are very strong and good for small items.
Old 9th May 2014, 8:37 am   #19
G4XWDJim
Octode

I buy Jablite, builders polystyrene sheet, one or two inches thick and cut it to shape with a ground hacksaw blade knife and use it to reinforce the sides of boxes. I've sent Eddystones and similar big heavy lumps overseas safely that way.

The point that GJ makes below however is very valid but there's more to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
If you're planning to use a courier it's well worth reading the fine print about insurance
As part of their fine print firms like Parcel to Go, Parcelforce will advise that despite trying to persuade you to pay extra to insure the item for its sale value they will only pay you in the event of loss what it cost you originally providing you can show proof of it.

On the back of their claim form Parcelforce have an analogy using the cost of a pair of jeans to illustrate their point which effectively says you cannot make a profit on anything you claim for. So, if you sell your radio for £100 but it only cost you £50 that's all you can claim for providing you have the original receipt. The fact that you have put well over 50 quids worth of parts and effort into it is not considered. Additionally how many of us know how much we paid for an item or even remember where we got it from.

Fortunately I haven't had to test this aspect of the fine print but it's as well to understand it.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 9th May 2014, 7:46 pm   #20
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_h View Post
Just where do I get such things or indeed anything that I could use ?
Try any industrial estate , most companies will gladly give you their boxes for free , that's where I get mine !
Closed Thread