UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2014, 11:06 pm   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Wall Decor in the Cafe!

I saw this wall decor in the Thali Cafe in the Tobacco Factory in Bristol.....

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	91357  
Old 10th Apr 2014, 7:39 am   #2
echelon
Tetrode

Default Re: Wall Decor in the Cafe!

I think I see a 5'' mono portable tv/radio-cassette combo, a possible pair of gonio aircraft landing indicators, maybe a Heathkit SB-104, at least one valve oscilloscope, external timebases, VTVMs.

Just to clarify- are these actual items, physically present there, or did you take a picture of an existing photorealistic 2-d life-sized wall decoration?
Old 10th Apr 2014, 7:41 am   #3
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Wow! Quick... restore it!
Old 10th Apr 2014, 8:15 am   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Just to clarify- are these actual items, physically present there, or did you take a picture of an existing photorealistic 2-d life-sized wall decoration?
These are actual items, carefully stacked on a shelf for maximum visual impact!

There are a couple of other items as decor in the cafe.....

Richard
Old 10th Apr 2014, 9:36 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

No leads?
Old 10th Apr 2014, 9:47 am   #6
pmmunro
Octode

I don't know if the owner of this cafe is expressing a personal interest - in which case all may be well but when I see displays of old equipment in chain owned premises I have considerable misgivings.

Often these displays have quite interesting items, historically, and not just electronics. I imagine that, once a theme has been selected, a junior "design" assistant is sent out with a considerable budget, a tight time scale and limited knowledge. The items will then be "conditioned" to suit the artistic requirements with little regard for historical conservation. However, the real problem comes when a refit is decreed. For commercial reasons time limits will be tight and it is simplest just to rip out the old decoration and dump it in a skip regarding it all to be of no further value.

A conflict often seems to arise between "creative" and conservation interests, even, possibly especially in some museums. Still, even we would be unable to restore everything but it would be a pity if some items of real significance were lost this way.

PMM
Old 10th Apr 2014, 10:04 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very true, PMM.

There's a clothes(?) shop at Gatwick airport that's literally lined with interesting clocks, the vast majority of which are real rather than reproductions. Except they've all been painted green, many of them have had their movements removed to double the space they will fill, and a few have been sawn in half! Here's a pic of just a tiny percentage.

http://www.clocktowerpeople.com/grap...k_clocks_1.jpg

Like you, I am upset that all these will end up in landfill before too long.

On the other hand, if these things were destined to be scrapped (which could well have been the case), then at least they're providing some interest to people like us, and ,ay possibly get others interested in our hobbies.

Nick.
Old 10th Apr 2014, 10:45 am   #8
robin coleman
Hexode

Very annoying to see clocks cut up for displays just as bad as bending 78 records into bowls for the present vintage rage
Regards
Robin
Old 10th Apr 2014, 2:18 pm   #9
cmjones01
Nonode

Looks like there's some Bruel & Kjaer stuff there, and the remains of a Tektronix 549 storage scope with type M 4-channel plugin at the top. I suspect it's been sawn in half because it wouldn't fit on the shelf otherwise. The tube escutcheon is missing and the tube seems to be rotated to a crazy angle! It's a shame, but the wonderful 549 won't be extinct as long as I've still got my (restored, working) one here...

To most of the world, this stuff is just scrap metal. If it looks pretty, the person who'll pay the highest price for it is the one who wants to display it in a cafe.

Chris
Old 11th Apr 2014, 10:49 am   #10
Wendymott
Octode

Theres also a Marconi L/C/R Bridge.. on the left lower middle row.........

Wendy G8BZY
Old 11th Apr 2014, 11:31 am   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin coleman View Post
Very annoying to see clocks cut up for displays just as bad as bending 78 records into bowls for the present vintage rage
Or the "books by the foot" that are often found as decoration in pubs/restaurants.

A while back, in such a place I noticed a WWII-era ARRL Handbook as part of the "ambience". Trying to get it down from the shelf I found I couldn't: seems that to make the display they 'd stacked all the books up then *drilled a hole* right through the lot and pinned the books to the bookends with a long length of half-inch wood dowelling.
Old 11th Apr 2014, 11:47 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The swines!

I've seen a beautiful, rosewood, full (concert)-sized grand piano in a pub which was famous for music in the past. Not only was it now used as a drinks table, much to the demise of its french polish finish, but the fallboard (lid) had been crudely screwed shut with 2 No.12 chipboard screws.

N.
Old 11th Apr 2014, 11:31 pm   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

To be a bit more positive, the pub I frequent has just such a display of books. A bit thin recently, awaiting returns, but it does actually get used!
Old 12th Apr 2014, 1:37 pm   #14
McMurdo
Dekatron

There's a military-themed nightclub here in Stoke that has a wall-full of cold-war era comms equipment and instruments behind the bar. It has been completely sprayed-over with drab olive for effect
Old 12th Apr 2014, 8:41 pm   #15
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
Looks like there's some Bruel & Kjaer stuff there
Looks like a couple of 2603 measuring amplifiers from around 1960, one very early and one later model.

Also I see a Marconi TM7164/TF2400. This was a heterodyne converter for early frequency counters, before frequency division prescalers became available.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 10:09 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

Bottom right looks like a dual regulated power supply. I don't recognise the make, but I think I've seen one before.

David
Old 13th Apr 2014, 12:36 am   #17
Sparky67
Heptode

Top left...a Marconi 10/25W power meter (or bolometer as one of our techs called it) ?
Old 13th Apr 2014, 12:08 pm   #18
Radio Wrangler

A bolometer is a device which measures RF power or optical power thermally.

Usually DC or low frequency is backed off to keep a sensor at a constant temperature when RF is applied. The amount of heater power cut equals the amount of RF power absorbed.

A neat trick with thermistors and bridges allows an amplifier to make them self-balancing, so you just read the DC and note thedrop when RF is applied.

It's also OK on a triple word score, but goniometer sounds funnier.

David
Old 13th Apr 2014, 9:23 pm   #19
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

I was over in Brighton UK three weeks ago and noticed one shop window in The Lanes that had several early 1950s television cases which had been emptied of their innards and repurposed for display. Quite disturbing in my eyes.

Tony
Closed Thread