UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2011, 11:32 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Visit to Royal Signals Museum, Blandford

I visited the Signals Museum in Blandford, Dorset, yesterday. They have an impressive array of Army radio equipment from the 1910s up to the 1990s.There are several displays of vehicle mounted base stations as well as cabinets showing radios used during various conflicts around the globe. Particularly interesting were the republican transmitters that were confiscated by the army during the Northern Ireland conflict, made using TV valves and any spare parts that could be found at the time. The displays are being constantly updated and added to. Well worth a visit.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	55513   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	55514   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	55515   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0010.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	55516  
Old 25th Aug 2011, 11:36 am   #2
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Visit to Royal Signals Museum, Blandford

I have been twice. It is well worth a visit.

Al
Old 25th Aug 2011, 12:09 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I went about 15 years ago-not like any other venue. Do you still have to sign in at the Guardroom to gain access?
Dave W
Old 25th Aug 2011, 12:21 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

Hello Dave, yes, security is very much an issue, the base is still operational. An access pass is provided with your photo on it as well as a pass for the car. Once in the museum, you could be anywhere else.
Neil
Old 28th Aug 2011, 10:21 pm   #5
techiesteve
Pentode

I've been a few times now, the last time about 2 yrs back. Always well worth a visit but you do need ID. It's very photographer friendly, I spent some time wandering around with my camera and tripod.
Old 3rd May 2014, 4:56 pm   #6

Went there today, supurb. A working Gee training system was my highlight, as was the rest. I think I helped a bit with some history too.

Old 3rd May 2014, 5:46 pm   #7
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

There will soon be a display of valves used throughout the history of the Royal Signals.
(Soon= when I get round to finishing it!)

That might add a bit of interest for some people.
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:12 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I agree, an excellent museum. Our daughter and son-in-law were resident on the camp at one time, so we were used to the security process.

The highlight for me was their WS No 19 HP, basically a standard 19-set with a 25-watt PA on its back, and a beefed-up variometer. The PA included a massive dynamotor and a pair of 807s. I had one of these many years ago, and very foolishly dismantled it to extract the wide-spaced variable capacitors with which to build an ATU

Incidentally, there is a very active amateur radio club on the site, together with a 70cms EchoLink-enabled repeater GB3DT. Visitors and guests are made very welcome.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 4th May 2014, 8:50 am   #9
lesmw0sec
Octode

When I was a "local" I made a few visits, my first being via the back entrance as I was more familiar with its location. In later years (IRA period) tried that again only to be met with an armed guard and requested to go to the main entrance. Sad how things have to change. Same with Bovington where you used to be able to go anywhere. Later visiting my daughter in her married quarters had to be photographed and wear a pass!
Closed Thread