UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2020, 9:11 pm   #21
Mistral13
Triode

Default Re: Another Ferrograph Series 7

As far as I am aware, it is simply there for sound deadening. At some point I am intending to remove the old stuff and replace it with 2 or 3mm of foam.

There is also foam on the other (spool brake) solenoid just below and to the right of the tape speed setting knob near the on/off switch. But that one is going to be trickier to get at.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 10:48 pm   #22
flywheel
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I thought you'd found the handle at the beginning of your previous thread, when you wanted to locate the model No [it is hidden under the handle with the serial No as well]. I was glad you asked as I hadn't spotted the handle either

I was pleased to have the numbers but given the weight of these machines, I might not trust the Aluminium handle entirely.

Dave W
Don't worry about the handles on these machines - they're well strong enough for the job, and far more trustworthy than the green or black bakelite handles on the older valve decks, one of which I'm convinced will one day suddenly snap and break one of my feet...
Old 21st Feb 2020, 9:41 am   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The handles certainly seem very strong and secure.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 9:48 am   #24
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral13 View Post
As far as I am aware, it is simply there for sound deadening. At some point I am intending to remove the old stuff and replace it with 2 or 3mm of foam.

There is also foam on the other (spool brake) solenoid just below and to the right of the tape speed setting knob near the on/off switch. But that one is going to be trickier to get at.
Thank you for the information , I will check out the other solenoid later. I originally wondered about sound deadening/impact absorbing, thinking that the armature would hit the solenoid core body but with the actuating arm manually moved, tlhe armature does not reach the body, will be interesting to see what happens when it is powered up and solenoid energised.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 8:23 pm   #25
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Now see that with a little more manual force that the Run Solenoid armature will hit the solenoid body.

Also now see the decomposing foam on the spool brake solenoid (same on my two Mk. 1 units).
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 12:45 pm   #26
DMcMahon
Dekatron

After a more through inspection now see that the pinch wheel is somewhat soft and sticky so have ordered a new one.
Closed Thread