UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2019, 1:49 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Royal Wootton Bassett Sun 8th Dec!

There is a line-of-thought which would say that getting rid of the less-desirable/poorer-condition members of a set-of-things increases the value of the better-condition things which remain.

Not that I'm justifying wanton scrappage - but the value of something is only ever what someone's prepared to pay for it. Even amongst the radio-collectorati gathered at RWB - there are some radios whose value is perceived as essentially zero because nobody bought them.
Old 12th Dec 2019, 3:12 pm   #22
slidertogrid
Octode

Here is a picture of my ordinary Woodie in less than perfect condition that I recently gave a reprieve..
I am now going to rotate sets that are not displayed in this spot monthly so this will give me a place to display 12 more radio sets..
lets try and save sets for future generations to enjoy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191212_135143.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	195251  
Old 12th Dec 2019, 10:17 pm   #23
Gridiron
Heptode

This set looks like one of the Ferguson 101 models, actually a wartime set from 1941 not a 1950's set.
Mike.
Old 20th Dec 2019, 5:54 pm   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The auction results are now on the BVWS website here: https://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/res...ootton-bassett

Any lot numbers missing were unsold, either due to no bids or because they didn't reach their reserves.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Dec 2019, 1:16 am   #25
slidertogrid
Octode

Unless I have got it wrong then only 5 radios failed to sell and nothing special by the looks of it .
From what had been said I had imagined a lot of sets had remained unsold and were subsequently destroyed. I feel much better now!

The unsold Dynatron TV - Dual standard with remote control.. If it was 24" and not 23" that would make it a late 368 Chassis. It would be a shame if that had been smashed up!
I am looking forward to being back on my feet soon, I shall have to start saving up my fivers for Harpenden!

Rich.
Old 21st Dec 2019, 2:02 am   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Sometimes items that don’t sell in the auction are sold immediately afterwards if someone who was interested approaches Mike to discuss. They still go through as auction sales and appear in the results. This is more likely for items that fail to reach their reserve rather than items that fail to even get a £5 bid.

This could be why there are less unsold items in the auction results than you remember on the day.

Also the catalogue description doesn’t include the condition. A few of the unsold lots were wrecks suitable only for parts.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Dec 2019, 12:51 pm   #27
slidertogrid
Octode

It's nice to know nothing particularly good was scrapped and not much of it either.
I have bought rough sets and cheap sets before as I don't feel guilty about using them for parts. I work on the principle that the set is already scrap and that I am just salvaging some useful parts, even better if I have a good set awaiting a part that can then be finished. Very little goes to waste I save everything even down to nuts and bolts.
The stripped chassis and metal parts go in a metal recycling bin at my mate's garage. It's usually only the rough and or wormy cabinet that goes to landfill.

If it's a common set and I think it may come in handy in the future I take the parts I need and keep the rest in the loft. I have a broken Philips 462A up there which has donated spares to restore about five others in the last 18 years!
The only problem is that sometimes I feel sorry for a set I bought for parts and end up saving it .

Last edited by slidertogrid; 21st Dec 2019 at 1:05 pm.
Old 21st Dec 2019, 2:29 pm   #28
ajs37
Heptode

thanks Paul - interesting prices - I wasn't able to stay for the auction so this list is very informative
Andy
Closed Thread