UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2021, 11:48 pm   #1
timohaveri
Pentode

Default His Master's Voice model 87 governor spring

I was asked to repair a His Master's Voice 87 gramophone. The main issue was dried up grease. In the process of cleaning I managed to brake one of the two governor springs Does anyone know where I could obtain a new one (or used)?

The other problem is the spring that prevents the handle from turning in the wrond direction (I don't know the proper name for it, sorry). The end portion of the spring that goes under the retaining screw is broken. I was thinking of making a new end for the spring by straightening one turn of the coil portion. Would this work or do I need that part too?

Best regards,
Timo
Old 30th Jun 2021, 11:55 pm   #2
timohaveri
Pentode

Default Re: His Master's Voice model 87 governor spring

Here's a picture. There are two weights and springs in total.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	springs.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	236845  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 3:35 pm   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

Greetings Timo,

I have found that it's possible to make flat springs like these by using feeler gauges (strips of hard steel used to measure small gaps, and sold as a folding set of blades of differing thicknesses). Having chosen the right thikness of blade, sharp shears will cut it to size, but you may have to make a punch to get the holes correctly sized.

Leon.
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 11:11 pm   #4
timohaveri
Pentode

Thanks for the tip. I found some spring material that was salvaged from inside a VHS cassette. I'll try if I could make something out of that.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 3:41 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Just a warning... If you don't get the replacement governor springs exactly the same as the originals, including the temper and thickness, you will be wasting your time, as the governors will run unevenly, resulting in varying turntable speed. For the little they cost, try one of the suppliers of spares, this is a very common motor and finding the correct springs, and the winding handle spring should be easy.

This is what you need, from a very reliable seller!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173958491...AAAOSwpEldI6zv

Barry

Last edited by Audio1950; 3rd Jul 2021 at 3:52 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 4:03 pm   #6
timohaveri
Pentode

OK. I'd better try buying spares then. I was able to make a new hook end into the winding handle spring but it would need to be twisted around itself to prevent it from coming loose again if the handle is turned in the wrong direction. It is not that easy.
Closed Thread