UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2019, 5:18 pm   #1
Tony_Sterling
Tetrode

Smile Rumble on record decks.

I have three record decks. A Goldring Lenco GL69, Sony PS-LX2 and a Sony LX56. The first two no matter what I do the rumble on these is quite severe. I am playing them into the amp of a Philips N4450 tape deck.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I might do? Ta
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 5:40 pm   #2
Tandy01
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Rumble on record decks.

Years ago Tandys used to sell a foam mat for the turntable to cut down on this. I see there are quite a few on Amazon nowadays.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 8:20 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hope I have this the correct way around, 50 years since I last visited this subject.

Using a tape deck amplifier to play a record, the equalisation circuit in the amp will cause problems for the record reproduction. The tape amplifier will include a 6db per octave roll off to accommodate the increasing output from the tape head as the frequency increases.

This will accentuate the low frequencies, I.e the rumble. See :-

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...dio/tape3.html

The paragraph explains it, unless you to work through the maths, I didn’t.
Old 23rd Jul 2019, 10:17 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

The Lenco is idler drive, so any hardening of the rubber idler will result in rumble. The others are direct drive I believe, so any rumble is likely lack of lubrication or wear on the main bearing.

Obviously, try through a 'proper' amp as suggested above!
Old 24th Jul 2019, 4:49 am   #5
Beobloke
Heptode

Use the deck that doesn’t rumble?
Old 24th Jul 2019, 7:50 am   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

This tape deck has an inbuilt magnetic RIAA preamp.

Unlike Garrard/BSR the idler on the Goldring is vertical, and more vertical rumble occurs,
which is noticeable in stereo, although it will disappear if you switch to mono. Most
other rumble problems are caused by bearings or insufficient damping between the
turntable and the speakers. An external amp/preamp may have a LF rumble filter fitted.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 8:31 am   #7
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There are circuits around that sum L and R below 70Hz or so only. So for low frequencies, the signal is mono, and above that stereo.

The idea is that the ear is not sensitive to position location for low frequency.

Craig
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:14 am   #8
Tony_Sterling
Tetrode

re. rumble on record decks.
thanks for all the threads it gives me plenty to look at .tony
Old 26th Jul 2019, 9:25 am   #9
PaulR
Dekatron

On some decks the motor is suspended on conical rubber grommets. Although they may look soft and pliable they often reduce in height over the years and the motor is not mounted in the position intended. They are easily obtainable on ebay and I have cured odd noise problems on a couple of decks by replacing them.

If any of your decks have these it may be a good idea to replace them, they are not expensive.
Old 26th Jul 2019, 11:22 am   #10
RojDW48
Nonode

As it happens I have just revived a GL59 (from rustbucket skip fare to really good working order) and it didn't take much effort - just scraped off the rust, oiled and lubricated everything - they shouldn't rumble! I suspect the transit screws which lock the motor chassis to the deck plate for transport have not been released. They are under the platter - usually identifiable by a splash of red paint on them. Remove them (2) to release the motor suspension.