UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2019, 11:36 am   #1
Hammonds
Heptode

Default "Punch down tool ?" identification, please

Good morning, All
I was having a clearout and came across this tool, which looks like some sort of punch down device.
As you press the tool down, a spring loaded brass tube comes down between the two "wings".
If anyone can identify it I would be grateful and would be happy to give it a new home FOC.
Cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	187053   Click image for larger version

Name:	4b.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	187054   Click image for larger version

Name:	4c.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	187055  
Old 21st Jul 2019, 12:09 pm   #2
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: "Punch down tool ?" identification, please

Hi Dave

I think it's a "pin extractor" tool that you would use on a large and probably very expensive connector.
These pins were crimped on to the wire and then inserted into the connector body, latching in with a "barb" arrangement. The extract tool compressed/released the barb enabling the pin to be removed.

As to which type of connector it fits, a bit tricky!!

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 21st Jul 2019, 1:01 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

Certainly looks like a pin extractor, difficult to gauge the size from the pics but it could be for the large high current pins used in some D shells - 13W3, for instance.
Old 21st Jul 2019, 2:02 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Could also be for any of several families of round connectors.

You'll need to get a micrometer on the OD of the business end and maybe try different sized drill shanks to gauge the ID. Only with these numbers to start with will anyone be able to decide if it's a possible fit.

David
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 5:56 pm   #5
duncanlowe
Nonode

I'd go with pin extractor too. I have several similar devices for automotive connectors including one that looks very similar though three slots. I had it for almost fifteen years before I found which connector on the car it was for.

The slot is unusual, and on my three slot version is to fit around some support 'fins' and get down as far as the barbs that have already been described.
Closed Thread