UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2018, 9:16 pm   #1
thereefs
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goblin Teasmade 855

Hello all. I saw that there was some expertise on this forum some years ago and wondered if there still is. I recently acquired a teasmade 855 in very good condition, the kettle boils fine on Tea Now but the clock is not working. I have opened up the insides and the only problem appears to be a loose earth wire, although I don't know why this would stop the clock. Other wiring appears to be in good condition. I have a picture of the wiring, but I can't see how to post it here. I have tried to make it an attachment. Can anyone offer advice on teasmades please ?

Thanks in anticipation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3491.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	154963  
Old 4th Jan 2018, 9:30 am   #2
trsomian
Hexode

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade 855

Is the clock motor operating; one can usually hear or feel it, and some models have a rotating "thing" (actually the end of the motor shaft) in, I think from memory, the 12 o'clock mark. If the motor is operating then there is a mechanical problem somewhere. If it isn't, that resistor visible in your picture is the motor dropper resistor and measuring voltages around it can tell you a lot. The voltage on and across that will tell you something. If the voltage on it relative to neutral (assuming it is in the line side of the motor) is 240V but the voltage across it is 0, the motor coil is open circuit. If there is no voltage on it then there is a fault in the supply to the clock. If the voltage across the resistor is 240V then the motor is probably short circuit or the resistor open circuit. If the voltage is somewhere in between the motor has power on it but may be mechanically stuck. Doing a resistance check of the motor and its resistor will also tell you a lot
Old 5th Jan 2018, 12:53 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi ? and welcome.
The loose earth won't be your problem. Also, it's unlikely that there's anything wrong with the 12k resistor even if it looks a bit brown. It is on the live side.
You can see if the clock is running by looking at the red indicator next to the '9' on the dial.
These clock motors do tend to start being noisy and eventually the plastic gearing fails.
A neon screwdriver will tell you if there's voltage getting to the clock, so try that first.
Here's a circuit diagram:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	855.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	155034  
Old 12th Jan 2018, 3:53 pm   #4
thereefs
Retired Dormant Member

Just seen this, thanks for the response. I'll have another look inside, I don't think the clock is running. I have a multimeter so I can check voltages etc, but I'm no electrician !
Old 13th Jan 2018, 3:28 pm   #5
thereefs
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks you for the responses, I have had a look inside again. The clock is ticking but not moving so I will take the motor off and try a little lubrication. There is 240V across the brown and blue wires into the clock and 125V across the big brown resistor. Anything else I should look for ?
Old 13th Jan 2018, 4:20 pm   #6
thereefs
Retired Dormant Member

Well I put the motor back on and the clock continues to tick but the hands don't move, so I guess the clock gears are stuck. Is there any way of getting into the clock mechanism, or I should it a sealed unit ?
Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:07 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

The clock motor can be dismantled, it's not sealed. I suspect that the rotor lubrication is gummed up or the plastic worm has been chewed up. Not uncommon.
It shouldn't tick!
I might just have a motor somewhere if all else fails.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 4:09 pm   #8
thereefs
Retired Dormant Member

I don't think it is the motor that ticks, and I can only hear it by putting my ear right on the clock housing, the teasmade housing itself. I took the motor off and it turns the worm gear happily. The worm gear was a bit gummed up, so I cleaned it and put on a spot of 3 in 1. I can see through the hole where the worm gear goes a red cog which the worm gear will engage to drive the clock. This does not move when I prod it with a screwdriver and the motor stalls when put back in position, I imagine engaging this red cog. So can I get into the clock gears to look at this red cog ? Thanks for the help so far.
Old 16th Jan 2018, 9:33 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Sounds like it's not too bad, then. I cannot remember how it dismantles as it's a few years since I did but it will come apart and can be washed out. Only lubrication needed is for the pivots, not any of the wheels.