UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2019, 12:18 pm   #21
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Progress in electronics

It's a sobering thought, with this being the 50th. Anniversary of Apollo 11, that today there is probably more computing power in the average laptop or mobile phone than was available to NASA at the time of the 1st. Moon landing!
Old 11th Jul 2019, 2:40 pm   #22
electronicskip
Nonode

That's progress for sure.
I do remember that when the Sinclair ZX80 was being advertised that one of the key sales points was it had enough computing power to run a Power Station .
No idea if it was true however !
Old 19th Jul 2019, 6:44 pm   #23
avocollector
Heptode

I repaired stuff for a hobby from the age of 11 onwards when I got my first multimeter and soldering iron- books were great, valves were still king although transistors were coming in (1963ish). Managed to keep up through transistors then integrated circuits (digital and analogue) until smd's when you needed exotic things like heat guns etc. But recently you tube videos have sparked my interest in the latest smd stuff again and although I wear glasses, I can use a microscope happily enough. The great improvements IMHO have been the internet and you tube videos - it is rare you cannot get some ideas of the practicalities of doing a diagnosis/repair from them. Annoyingly I kept my Chinese made 1k per volt multimeter in good nick until the mid 90's when I loaned it to a now ex-friend who wanted to check his motorbike wiring - needless to say he managed to burn it out and returned it without telling me. Fortunately by then it was my backup but was infuriating to go for it one day and find it dead.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 8:01 pm   #24
valvekits
Pentode

My usual barber was out for the day so I let the apprentice have a shot. She was a little nervous so to give encouragement I mentioned that I was an apprentice TV engineer in my youth. She then asked me what a television engineer was as she had never heard of that one. I suppose that is a measure of progress in electronics.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 9:24 pm   #25
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I wasn't an apprentice, I was a "Junior Improver", which I suppose amounts to the same thing.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 11:08 pm   #26
Refugee
Dekatron

I have a special "borrowers" meter with burned out ohms ranges that still function.
It usually comes back still working
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	186958  
Closed Thread