UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2019, 3:25 am   #1
RockolaDoug
Retired Dormant Member

Default New Member Rockola Princess 1493 Jukebox

Hi, My name is Doug. I live in Canada, I have a Rockola Princess 1493 jukebox that I have a problem with. I do have the manual. I have been searching the internet and came across an old post from 2010 about a problem one of the members was having with a Rockola 1493 so I joined the forum so i could ask member "the-juke" a question. I noticed in the post that you were going to change the microswitches. Did you ever do them and how did it turn out? The question I have for you is, did you happen to document the wiring (what coloured wires went to what terminal on what switch) I changed my switches because mine were working intermittent. I thought I did them right, I did one wire, one switch at a time and it is not working properly. I don't know which wire or wires I might have done wrong but it is not working properly. It works with two minor problems. When the gripper arm pulls out the record, it is slow. When the record trips at the end, the gripper puts the record back at normal speed. I know that has to do with switch #2. The other which I don't know if it's related to the microswitches is I lost my select light. It worked before I changed the switches, the bulb test fine.
If someone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated!
Thank you,
Doug
Old 19th Apr 2019, 9:24 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: New Member Rockola Princess 1493 Jukebox

You are very welcome Doug, but you should bear in mind that jukeboxes are a fringe interest on this forum and you may find more help asking elsewhere.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 9:52 am   #3
sortedradio
Heptode

Hi Doug, you could try here:-
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...o90r6n4nsggbq&

They have an area covering jukeboxes.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 6:47 pm   #4
RockolaDoug
Retired Dormant Member

Ok thank you
Old 20th Apr 2019, 5:45 pm   #5
the-juke
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Doug, Andy here. Just been directed to your question re the 1493 Princess microswitches. I did change them, very recently. I am beginning to wish I had not. Like you I changed one at a time and now seem to have more problems than I started with. It may be that I disturbed something else and it is not directly the replacing of the switches. Sorry I cannot help further.
Andy.
Old 20th Apr 2019, 6:50 pm   #6
RockolaDoug
Retired Dormant Member

Ok Thanks Andy, I will get this figured out and when I do I'll let you know what I did.
What are the problems your having?
Doug
Old 12th May 2019, 8:44 pm   #7
RockolaDoug
Retired Dormant Member

Andy, I had someone in the U.S. help me get it going. I had the micro-switches mis-wired. If I can help you with yours, let me know.
Doug
Old 17th May 2019, 6:50 pm   #8
sparkey58
Triode

hi am in the UK but restore jukeboxes...the microswitch wiring is on the machine schematic...remeber that you have to adjust the actuating arms after fitting new switches by adjusting the "Bristol" screws [look like allen screws but they are not] to make sure the switches operate correctly.
Old 17th May 2019, 10:27 pm   #9
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I did wonder if the travel and switching points maybe didn't match the old switches and need adjusting. If so probably means a bit of trial and error. I have no experience of mending jukeboxes though. Or more serious perhaps the new switches have different pin out connections. Are microswitch connections standard?
Alan.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:33 pm   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes -- sort of. The positions of the moving, normally-open and normally-closed contacts are the same for each size of switch, but some switches may omit the NC or NO contact if the application requires only a single action..
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 8:31 pm   #11
the-juke
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Doug, I am sure I too have the wiring to the micro switches wrong. I thought I wired them exactly as I took the old ones off but I suspect I got something wrong. I am sure #1 switch is okay. I am not so confident about #2 and #3.
If your repairer left you a wiring diagram showing the colors of which wire goes where I would appreciate a copy.
Andy.
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 7:26 am   #12
mickyfinn
Hexode

The bristol key is available from Stamann btw.
Mick
Old 18th Jul 2019, 7:17 am   #13
RockolaDoug
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andy, The wires going to the 3 micro-switches are as follows:

Switch #1 NO - Blue-Green
NC - Orange-White
COM - Red-White

Switch #2 NO - Brown-White
NC - White
COM - Red-Blue