UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2019, 8:53 pm   #1
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default Mullard HSVT problem

Hi folks,

My HSVT has a problem most noticeable when trying to test FW rectifiers such as 5Z4. One side works fine but on trying to test the other side, it immediately blows the cutout.

I've traced the fault to one of the fixed matrix contacts where the insulating bush has tracked across to the chassis.

Is it feasible to replace one of these bushes given that a spare one can be found or could the burnt bit be dremeled away or would it be simpler to swap the whole matrix panel if a donor part was available.

Alf
Old 8th May 2019, 8:22 am   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Mullard HSVT problem

I would hesitate to try and change the whole matrix panel, all those wires, to say nothing of alignment.
It would also mean finding a doner set and I would hate to see one scrapped.

Why not try demeling the burnt part and then using epoxy, you've nothing to lose.

Peter
Old 13th May 2019, 7:05 pm   #3
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default Re: Mullard HSVT problem

Hi Peter,

Yes I'm not keen on removing all those wires and links and then get them all back in the correct places.

I think I might give it the dremelling treatment.

I did it some years ago with the W plug on a Gee Indicator Type 95. The EHT tracked across from the pin to the shell. I dremeled away the carbonised Bakelite and then filled the crater with araldite and it's still working fine.

Cheers, Alf
Closed Thread