UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 8th Jan 2019, 11:13 am   #1
Ivanavitch
Diode

Default Telequipment S32A Manual.

Good evening fellow forumites. Brand new member from down under. I have owned a Telequipment S32A valve CRO for about 10 years. When I used it in December the trace disappeared and there was a slight bubbling noise, I think from the transformer. I managed to find circuits on this forum and traced it to a 0.05uF cap in the EHT circuit. Replaced. Trace returned.

Next I couldn't get it to trigger properly. 2M2 resistor gone high in the TB circuit. So all is operating well now.

I love old valve gear and would love to have the full manual as well as the circuits. Does anyone have them in pdf format.

Thankyou in advance
John
Ivanavitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2019, 10:12 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Telequipment S32A Manual.

Telequipment S32A oscilloscope.
There are two versions of this. The earlier used ECF804 in the Y Amplifier. Then they introduced a different circuit using 2 of EF184 and 2 x ECC88. A better design which was used in many later models, including the big selling D43.

The tube used has an interesting history, the 3 inch pda SE3A, by Sylvania-Thorn.
Thorn had a long standing technical agreement from 1947 with Sylvania Electric over phosphors and manufacturing techniques of fluorescent lighting tubes.
When Thorn wanted to get into Cathode Ray Tubes in late 1950's, they set up a joint company with Sylvania to make TV and Instrument CRT, using I suspect Sylvania design technology.

Later Thorn took over Brimar from STC in 1960, and then AEI-Ediswan-Mazda valves and tubes in 1961 and they seemed to concentrate on the Mazda designs from Mazda Brimsdown design laboratory.

New designs of Instrument tubes were marketed as Brimar, but they continued to sell the SE3A and 5"round screen SE5F and particularly the big selling double gun SE5/2A (GEC/MOV 1324M) used in the Solartron CD1400. All still available as current in 1977.

The SE3A was also made by EMI, as MX54 by 1965. I suspect EMI had licensed the design separately from Sylvania, as they were also marketing other tube designs made by Etel and Mullard.

Oddly enough, Etel, which was controlled by EMI anyway, was also producing the 3" pda tube 3BLP1 or CR132 (comparable to the Mullard Philips DH7-10) from 1960.

All this was before the merger of Thorn and EMI in 1974.

I have scanned the manual covering both versions. It comes to over 8Mb, which I would usually prefer to put on a CD with other information. But as you are a long way away, send me your email address by Private Message.
wme-bill m0wpn
WME_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:41 pm   #3
Ivanavitch
Diode

Thank you Bill. I have the 10 valve version with the 2 pentodes and 2 double triodes in the vertical amp.

I tried to find info on the 3" tube and the closest I could find was the 4" SE4D. Close enough for what I was after but I'll now try to track down from your info.

Thank you for the offer of emailing scans. I will contact you via PM.

regards
John
Old 11th Jan 2019, 1:07 am   #4
Ivanavitch
Diode

Hi Bill
PM sent
John