UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 7th Jan 2019, 5:54 pm   #1
ex 2 Base
Pentode

Default Capacitor

Has any one got a spare/ replacement 0.1 micro farad 1000 volt capacitor suitable for a Kenwood food mixer for sale. The failed one is a metal cased cylindrical type, but I don't think the shape or case material is important.ted
ex 2 Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2019, 6:22 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Capacitor

I'd have thought that for a food mixer, the cap would be for suppression, and therefore either X Class (across the mains) or Y Class (line to earth/neutral to earth), but maybe not if the voltage rating is stated as 1,000V DC. X & Y Class voltage ratings are AC - usually 275/285V, such as these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-0-1u...6my:rk:26:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic...Gip:rk:58:pf:0

You can of course get the yellow axial polypropylene ones in 1,000 V DC rating.

I don't have one, but they're quite commonplace so someone may be able to help out.

Best of luck with it Ted.
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2019, 6:36 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Nonode

It may well pre-date the 'class X' and 'class Y' classifications. 1000V (DC) capacitors were commonly used for mains applications, although now I would certainly use class X or class Y as appropriate as a replacement.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2019, 12:29 pm   #4
ex 2 Base
Pentode

Thank you both for your response to my query, David and Tony. I will order a couple of those Panasonic ones and see how things go. There is a small choke in series with the speed control contacts and the cap fits across the pair. The speed control is crude but it works. Happy New Year to you both. Ted
Old 8th Jan 2019, 12:59 pm   #5
robinshack
Heptode

Ted, I made a post about my Kenwood chef repair. I also added an earth lead and extra earthing for our own safe use. This was because the original rubber motor mountings had perished allowing the body to contact the mixer frame, which I was not too happy about.
I think it wss about one or two years ago maybe?
Rob
Old 8th Jan 2019, 1:33 pm   #6
PsychMan
Octode

There are kits including capacitors and triacs to electrically recondition a kenwood chef, I used one a while ago, have a look on ebay
PsychMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2019, 3:20 pm   #7
robinshack
Heptode

My comments assume it is model A701a, the one with a "trembler" switch to control the speed and the capacitor is connected there.
Rob
Old 9th Jan 2019, 6:20 pm   #8
ex 2 Base
Pentode

Yes that's the one Robin, no triac. I notice that there is an earth connection but will double check and give the mixer an Insulation test before use. Out of interest, I order two Panasonic Caps yesterday afternoon from the company mentioned by David and they arrived at lunch time today. I only actually needed one, now have a spare to keep company with another spare. Ted
Old 9th Jan 2019, 9:16 pm   #9
robinshack
Heptode

Hi Ted, my mod was due to the fact the original lead was only 2 core and the motor frame rubber bushes had perished, allowing contact with the main mixer frame. That is why I modified to 3 core for our own use. I guess my mixer was around 1974 build.
Rob