UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2019, 12:33 am   #1
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Wanted: Bookshelf speakers, pair of

Requirements:
Electrical: 8 Ohms impedance; able to handle between 750 mW to 1-watt minimum (audio b/w).
Connections: almost anything will be suitable!
Cabinet size: In the regions of 5" to 6" wide; 6" to 8" high; 5" deep.
Condition: No flaws / defects on front grilles / cloth fronts; minor scratches on sides & top: acceptable.

I think that covers everything.

It's unlikely that I will be able to do a 'buyer collect', so if you can help, please describe what you have and indicate transport cost to Somerset, U.K., with your price.

All replies by P.M.

Thank you,

Al. (Jan. 2nd.)
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 11:07 am   #2
simpsons
Hexode

Default Re: Wanted: Bookshelf speakers, pair of

Have you tried your local charity shop?
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 6:15 pm   #3
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: Wanted: Bookshelf speakers, pair of

Yes: often I visit the charity shops here in Chard, typically once per week, but it is not often that any electrical / electronic items are for sale. This need of mine has been in existence for about 3 months, but only recently has it become urgent.

Al.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 6:35 pm   #4
wireless_john
Hexode

British Heart Foundation have shops that sell electrical goods - presumably because they can PAT test them.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 8:00 pm   #5
SiriusHardware
Nonode

Also branches of Sue Ryder - I have seen orphaned speakers obviously from 1970s / 1980s music centres or stereos almost every time I go into the 'local' branch in North Yorkshire.

Shops like Cash Converters as well - I once saw a huge pair of floor standing KEFs in the Redcar branch, didn't buy them and have regretted it ever since.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 8:10 pm   #6
RojDW48
Octode

Hello Al - this pair might be a bit big at 9 X 6.5 X 14". I can't remember where they came from (!). 8 ohm anonymous ellipticals - long leads terminating in male 2 pin DIN plugs. Yours for a tenner if they are any use - shipping probably about the same but I'm just south of Bristol - you might get up this way? Let me know if they are of interest and I'll give them a proper test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250800.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	175753   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250801.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	175754   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1250799.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	175755  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 8:13 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

A great buy is the 'Mission for Denon' SC-M5K or SC-M50 speakers. I have three pairs and they are excellent little speakers; clear articulate, really nice.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 8:19 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Keep an eye on eBay for speakers local to you, especially collection only. I bought a pair of tiny Eltax speakers for the bedroom a couple of years ago for £5.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 8:23 pm   #9
Lloyd 1985
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
A great buy is the 'Mission for Denon' SC-M5K or SC-M50 speakers. I have three pairs and they are excellent little speakers; clear articulate, really nice.
Iím sure Iíve got a pair of those hidden in a box somewhere! Iíll have a dig when we put the Christmas decorations away at the weekend, I could probably let them go for the cost of shipping... I need to start making space!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 4th Jan 2019, 12:41 am   #10
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_john View Post
British Heart Foundation have shops that sell electrical goods - presumably because they can PAT test them.
Yes, there is a BHF shop here in Chard. But I don't recall ever seeing any electrical goods in there though - and certainly not bookshelf speakers.

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 12:46 am   #11
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
Hello Al - this pair might be a bit big at 9 X 6.5 X 14".
Hi! - and thanks. Unfortunately, 14" is too high. There is a shelf on which the wanted speakers will sit but there is another shelf above it: the distance between them is less than 14". And mounting them horizontally won't work, since the intended shelf has lots of stuff on it already!

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 9:45 am   #12
westcliff
Hexode

Hello Al,

I have a pair of Sony speakers which are approximately 5.5" wide, 6.5" deep and 9.25" tall. They are 4 Ohms impedance though.

Gus.

Connectors are bare wire.

Last edited by westcliff; 4th Jan 2019 at 9:48 am. Reason: Additional information
Old 4th Jan 2019, 11:30 am   #13
paulsherwin

The speakers supplied with Sony microsystems are usually quite good - much better than the competition.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 12:05 pm   #14
Jimbo
Triode

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers rescued from a 'Goodmans' mini audio system. These are finished in a cherry wood colour with grey cloth fronts and are in good overall appearance. The speakers are wire ended but the back of the boxes is removable, so they could be rewired to suit your needs.

Size 5" wide x 9" high x 8" deep.

The impedance is not marked on the cabinet and I'm afraid the original instruction book has gone AWOL.

My home is near Crewkerne, not too far from Chard so transport would not be a problem.

No charge from me, but a donation to Tools for Self Reliance or British Wireless for the Blind Fund would be appreciated.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 12:27 pm   #15
paulsherwin

You can estimate the impedance by measuring the DC resistance, which will be about 20% lower.

The impedance is unlikely to be critical unless the setup is used at maximum volume.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 2:37 pm   #16
Richard_FM
Heptode

It's worth looking at your local Freecycle listings, especially as it's going to be the start of the "spring clean clearance season" soon, when people start to clear out garages, spare rooms, attics etc.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 10:05 pm   #17
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The impedance is unlikely to be critical unless the setup is used at maximum volume.
Usually, that is indeed true. However, for the project under construction (which these speakers will be used with), the O/P i.c.s are not only 'old tech.', (they're TAA611B), but the spec. is quite insistent on 8 Ohms.

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 10:11 pm   #18
Skywave
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Iím sure Iíve got a pair of those ('Mission for Denon' SC-M5K or SC-M50 speakers) hidden in a box somewhere! Iíll have a dig when we put the Christmas decorations away at the weekend, I could probably let them go for the cost of shipping... I need to start making space!

Regards
Lloyd
They - plus your 'probable' offer - sound ideal. Please let me know (by P.M.) when you've unearthed them.

Thank you.
Al.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 10:18 pm   #19
Skywave
Dekatron

Jimbo - you have a P.M.

Al.
Old 4th Jan 2019, 10:55 pm   #20
Glowing Bits!
Heptode

I have a pair of fully working and cosmetically immaculate set of Panasonic speakers if these are of use, sadly they're 4 ohms rated 10 watts.
If these are of use, they're FOC, all I ask is for the cost of post.
Rick.
Closed Thread