UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 9th Jan 2019, 10:44 pm   #1
steevie
Diode

Default Arcam Alpha 7SE CD Player spares

Hi, this is my first post on this great site so here goes...

I hope you can help, I have an Arcam 7SE CD Player which lost a battle with some careless couriers, it must have been dropped on its back from a great height as it sounded like a box of Lego. I have tried to save it, and have glued most of it back again and have got it working. The problem is it skips now and again and I have traced it to the plastic gearwheel (pinion) that drives the rack the laser is mounted to. (picture attached) It has a couple of teeth stripped and needs replacement. Arcam tell me they don't sell these and I haven't seen them on auction sites. Does anyone know if these can still be bought? Its the last piece of the jigsaw.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arcam 7SE Gear Wheel.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	176191  
steevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2019, 9:54 am   #2
vidjoman
Nonode

Default Re: Arcam Alpha 7SE CD Player spares

That's a Sony mech and you will be able to get a 'complete' chassis,out of another player - used by many makers, not just Arcam. You won't get just the gear .
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2019, 3:54 pm   #3
Studio263
Octode

Type KSS-240A I think. Always a disappointment to find this rather basic transport in what you thought may have been a decent player, but at least replacement parts are cheap and ubiquitous.
Studio263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2019, 4:08 pm   #4
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Write to ARCAM, they where (I worked for them in 1990) and still may be a "proper" company, an SAE may well elicit a gear from their scrap stock.
Old 10th Jan 2019, 4:23 pm   #5
mhennessy
Dekatron

Arcam were acquired by Harmon in 2017.

The thing that really surprised me was discovering that Samsung acquired Harmon the year before!

I agree that they were always helpful in the good old days, but I've had no cause to contact them since they were bought. But in post #1, the OP says that Arcam couldn't help him, so I guess that's that. Luckily, as has been said, these mechs (CDM14, confusingly ) were widely used, so his chances of finding something are as good as it gets.
mhennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 8:32 pm   #6
steevie
Diode

Thanks for the suggestions and advice,

I did write to Arcam but their answer was "Sadly, we do not have any components of these players any more. Back in the day we only used to have the complete mechanisms so did not, and do not have individual internal parts of the mechanism available. These mechanisms are long obsolete now, as are the external cosmetic parts" They went on to say a second hand spare unit would be my best bet. As we know these units still fetch 50 - 60 with the carriage with no guarantee that the part you require is Ok.

Its good to know these are KSS-240A and found in Sony so that opens up the search a little wider. I wonder if they are used by other manufacturers.

I liked merlinmaxwell's suggestions.....It's a help them to help you approach and as they say in the North East, 'Shy bairns get nowt'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arcam 7SE Gear.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	176284  
Old 12th Jan 2019, 6:52 am   #7
peter_sol
Octode

PM Me and I will send you the part FOC,
peter_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 11:33 am   #8
steevie
Diode

Wow thanks Peter that's great. PM sent.
Old 19th Jan 2019, 12:02 pm   #9
steevie
Diode

Hi I just wanted to post an update.

I received the gear wheel from Peter_sol this week and I fitted it yesterday.
I did end up with the CD player not registering the CD when it was loaded. I think this was the laser not being able to focus, but with a bit of adjustment on the height of the CD 'turntable' on the motor spindle I got it to register and then play.
It now plays well and is a joy to hear.

Thanks to all that contributed. As a novice I understand a lot more now. I'm very pleased that this classic player didn't end up in the bin.